We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train-Rome2Venice after overnight flight from NY same day

Dover, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Train-Rome2Venice after overnight flight from NY same day

Considering Trip from US to see Rome, Florence, and Venice. Due to direct flight opportunities in and out of Rome, have been considering taking train from Rome to Venice on the day of arrival in Rome and starting to tour in Venice, then Florence, then Rome. Flight opportunities from Venice and Florence to US ( can't find any direct). Have never traveled within Italy by train and am also concerned about handling luggage to and from Trains and when to purchase tickets .

Not Familiar with train schedules and how many hours by the fast trains between Venice and Rome.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,921 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train-Rome2Venice after overnight flight from NY same day

It takes 3h45 from Roma Termini to Venezia Santa Lucia, and about 30 minutes from FCO to Termini by Leonardo Express, so total journey time from exiting FCO would be about 5 hrs..

It's entirely up to you to decide how you think you will feel, but personally I would "do" Rome first rather than hurtle off to Venice (or even Florence). If you are worried about train travel it's going to be a whole lot more stressful if you start off jet-lagged. Even if you are returning to Rome for the last night before your flight home, that doesn't mean you have to visit it last.

Rome-Florence takes 1h30, and Florence-Venice, 2h05. If you want to work out timings before using trenitalia.com for bookings, you may find this website easier: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,714 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train-Rome2Venice after overnight flight from NY same day

For the best prices on the fast trains, book direct with the operator as far ahead as possible. Trenitalia tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, Italo rather less predictably, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and using the Italian names for towns, or from the competitor on major routes http://www.italotreno.it/EN

However, if you intend to take a train soon after landing from a long-haul flight, it is best not to book in advance as you do not know whether the flight will be delayed. Discounted tickets are worthless if you miss the train.

Could I suggest that you look into an "open jaws" or "multi-city" ticket, flying into Venice and out of Rome. These usually cost little more than an ordinary return ticket, and would save you a long train journey.

Dover, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train-Rome2Venice after overnight flight from NY same day

Thanks for both suggestions. I initially could not find good connections from Venice back to the US. I did not check the route if we went to Venice First. then train to Florence and then to Rome. I do like the idea of returning from Rome to US ( non stop and no transfers) that's why I was considering the back and forth from Rome to Florence to Venice and return to Rome for departure to US. I have some additional questions about getting from airport in Venice to different hotel locations that I will post on the Venice Forum. Not really sure of how travelers get to hotels that could be far from water taxi stops .

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,920 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train-Rome2Venice after overnight flight from NY same day

If direct flights are important to you, you could look into an open-jaw that goes into Milan and returns from Rome (United serves both locations from Newark). You'll have even more options if you're willing to go out to JFK.

The train ride from Milan to Venice is 3.5 - 4 hours, a little less than from Rome. Like Rome, you'd have one train ride from the airport into the city where you'd change for a train direct to Venice.

Arriving by train to Venice puts you right on the Grand Canal. Pretty much the only way to get to a hotel that does not have its own dock is on foot, but nothing is that far as Venice is quite small.

CA
Level Contributor
6,750 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train-Rome2Venice after overnight flight from NY same day

FCO to Florence a popular option is the train to Tibertina, 1.5 hour train ride.

Dover, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train-Rome2Venice after overnight flight from NY same day

Thanks for the supplemental information.

Elstravels : Thanks for the United Tip.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train-Rome2Venice after overnight flight from NY same day

Step back and think about the big issues: On which trip are the stakes higher-when you have paid hotel reservations, or when you are heading back home? When you are jet-lagged and worried, or when you are rested and looking at your own pillow in your future? BTW, will you have travel insurance?

I'm not saying that you should start in Rome when I write that. I'm talking about knowing special event dates in each city, hotel availability, advance purchase deadlines (as noted by another poster) for rail tickets, and so on. You also have to think about the difference between connecting air flights and multiple-seat, multiple-mode ground transfers.

There, I mean that United partners with Lufthansa, which has flights from places like Frankfurt (one of the biggest "hubs" in Europe) to Venice. Sometimes this comes up automatically in searches on the United website. In any case,you have a lot more options than you think you do. Personally, I recommend flying United or Lufthansa to Frankfurt and then to Venice. We have recently begun accepting connecting flights both ways to Europe, both to save ground travel, and to get increased availability, lower fares, and more Mileage Award possibilities. Your choice.

Actually, train service in northern Italy is generally better than it used to be. But another thing that's good about flying to Venice is that your non-changeable train ticket now originates from a wide-awake departure on the ground in Venice (i.e. to Florence, probably), not subject to transatlantic possible delays, or immigration lines before the train. Remember, you're going to be in the "All Other Passports" like, like unlucky visitors to the U.S. arriving at JFK.

8. Re: Train-Rome2Venice after overnight flight from NY same day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 23:40
Dover, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train-Rome2Venice after overnight flight from NY same day

obsoperator

Food For thought !

Thanks

Scranton...
Level Contributor
492 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train-Rome2Venice after overnight flight from NY same day

Since you're in New Jersey, another possibility might be to fly out Philadelphia. US Air has a direct flight from PHL to Venice, so you could do a multi city route with them, flying PHL to VCE, then returning from FCO to PHL. We've flown that routing twice...the first time, the outbound flight from PHL to VCE was cancelled due to an equipment problem, and we lost a day getting there. The second time, the flight was delayed a couple of hours.

I don't think any other carrier is doing a direct flight from the east coast into Venice.

Zuke

http://zukini.travellerspoint.com/toc/