We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions on my itinerary

Djibouti, Djibouti
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Topic
Opinions on my itinerary

My wife, and a couple friend of ours are planning a trip to Europe. We love Amsterdams museums, canals, etc…and its much cheaper to fly into Amsterdam from my hometown. We then were thinking about taking a high speed train. My first question is, does anyone have any recommendations between Amsterdam and the French/Italian Riviera that is on the high speed or convenient transport? We have been to Munich and Salzburg. Switzerland?

My second question is what do people think of my rough itinerary? I know Amsterdam to France isn’t ideal…but we basically get the train for free so hoping we can get a convenient 5-6 hour train.

Amsterdam (3 nights)

Nice or other city such as Zurich/Geneva (2 nights)

Italian Riveria - Santa Margerita, Portofino, Camogli, Genoa, San Fruttuoso, Rapallo, & the 5 villages of Cinque Terre (4/5 nights)

Tuscany/Florence/Parma/Lucca area (3/4 nights)

Paris (4 nights)

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Riviera
Riviera
2,292 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
France
France
Europe
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Portofino
Portofino
Italian Riviera, Italy
Camogli
Camogli
Italian Riviera, Italy
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Rapallo
Rapallo
Italian Riviera, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Parma
Parma
Province of Parma, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,987 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions on my itinerary

There is no high-speed train direct from Amsterdam to Nice or Genoa. You have Thalys as far as Paris (3h17) and then TGV to Nice, which takes 5h37 (not that that has anything to do with the forum for Italy!) or for Italy the fastest way is usually via Milan. Even then, from Amsterdam Airport to Genoa takes 14-21 hours, with 2-8 changes.

There are night trains from Paris (http://www.italiarail.com/thello), but read up on these on tripadvisor as there have been many criticisms.

Here is the high-speed rail network http://www.railteam.eu/en/ - or you can use http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en to test different options. You can buy all high-speed train tickets from Rail Team or (for their own trains and others involved in a single journey) Thalys, otherwise you will need to use the websites of the national train operators e.g. SNCF (French Railways), Trenitalia (Italian Railways).

However frankly, unless you want to stop off along the way, I would rather fly from Amsterdam than spend 12+ hours on trains, which are not exactly cheap. Using low-cost airlines, from Amsterdam-Schiphol you have Transavia to Nice, Turin or Pisa and Easyjet to Milan Malpensa, Basel or Geneva.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 13:46
Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
TGV
TGV
1,313 Reviews
Paris, France
Italy
Italy
Europe
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Turin
Turin
Province of Turin, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Malpensa Airport
Malpensa Airport
Ferno, Italy
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,987 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions on my itinerary

P.S. How do you get the train for free from Amsterdam to Nice? And how do you think you can do that journey in 5-6 hours by train, when that's already what it takes from Paris to Nice?!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Djibouti, Djibouti
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions on my itinerary

Meaning free because I save like $300 flying into amsterdam. You are 100% right on the train, underestimating. I was thinking flying, which i can get from Amsterdam to Nice for under $400 and around 4 hrs.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Djibouti, Djibouti
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions on my itinerary

And I very much appreciate your time. Thanks for replying. Been to Europe only 6 times.....and have friends with specific wants...so trying to do it all which is never smart. Thank you again.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
5. Re: Opinions on my itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 06:16