We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy itinerary - traveling w/teenage daughters

chicago
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Italy itinerary - traveling w/teenage daughters

My wife are traveling to Italy next summer w/our two daughters age 17 and 14 for 10-12 days (excluding travel days). Rome (likely 3-4 days) and Venice (likely 2 days) are must sees but open to other suggestions and thoughts on amount of time in Rome and Venice. Would be interested in suggestions for our itinerary as well as recommendations for private tour guides in Rome and Florence.

Clifton Park, New...
Level Contributor
565 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy itinerary - traveling w/teenage daughters

Since you have decided that Venice and Rome are 2 places you would definitely like to visit, I would consider Tuscany for a few days as it would be a nice break in the country between the Venice and Rome. That is if you are willing to get a car for a few days which is necessary for the countryside.

Consider something like this.

fly into Venice

Venice 3-4 nights. I would VERY highly recommend ROWVENICE. Absolutely wonderful for anyone esp for teens.

Tuscany 4 nights- car is necessary in my opinion. Stay at an agriturismo with a pool. Thousands to choose from in every price range.

Rome- 4 nights

fly home from Rome

We were in Venice in March for 4 nights with my 19 year old dtr and niece and it was barely enough to scratch the surface. My family wanted a relatively museum free visit to Venice so we did not even see the Doges Palace, the Correr, the Accademia or the Peggy Guggenheim all huge attractions. We still managed to fill the days.

We have been to Italy many times with kids of all ages. In Tuscany in the summer, a pool is essential to relax and cool off in the afternoons, you can schedule things like pasta making classes, horseback riding, biking, wineries, hot air balloons, etc..Also a day trip to Florence or Siena.

Rome- too much to see so do not try to see it all. Leave some time for wandering, gelato, people watching, Your kids will love it if you also let them pick something that they really want to do. ie, food tours, segway tours etc..

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,678 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy itinerary - traveling w/teenage daughters

All purpose advice for traveling with older kids and teens; get a good accessible guidebook e.g. a pictured one like Insight Guides and put the kids in charge of some of the planning. You will see things you hadn't thought of and have more considerate and fun travel companions. I would never have seen Aqueduct Parc in Rome or the British Library (who would have thought that would be cool?) or the John Soanes Museum in London or climbed the Notre Dame Tower but for my teenage kids choices when they planned some of our days.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,449 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy itinerary - traveling w/teenage daughters

While in Rome, make sure you visit the Piazza Novana at night when all of the artists are out. Also all of the young people hang around there at night. Our daughter enjoyed it.

chicago
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy itinerary - traveling w/teenage daughters

Thanks for the replies! We have been considering Tuscany as part of the trip. The debate is whether we stay in Florence and day trip from there or vice-versa. Thoughts on which approach is better? If we stay in a village/town outside of Florence please provide suggestions on locations that are not too far away as well as lodging. Thanks for the help.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,525 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy itinerary - traveling w/teenage daughters

The first thing you need to do is determine what you want to see in both Rome and Venice. This will give you a better idea of how long you really need to stay in order to complete your list. you may find you need more or less time than you think. After that you can see how many days you'll have left and use them for the other area.

Donna

Clifton Park, New...
Level Contributor
565 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy itinerary - traveling w/teenage daughters

I would tend toward basing in the countryside as a break from the cities. Having the pool was a welcome relief from the heat and a chance for all of us to unwind and refresh enough so we could continue our site seeing. Everything depends on if you are ok with renting a car for a few days for that portion of the trip. Driving in Tuscany is fine.

IAgriturismo Marciano and Il Poggiarello are near to Siena.

Agriturismo il Felceto is in the Chianti area which borders Florence. There are numerous ones to choose from. I have never stayed in any in the area, but every one we have stayed in in other parts of Italy has been wonderful and loved by our kids.

These are just examples as the possibilities are endless and you need to find what fits your budget and which amenities you require.

I notice that Marciano offers cooking classes which may be fun for your kids. Most kids love making pasta.-

7. Re: Italy itinerary - traveling w/teenage daughters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 05:17