We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaning Tower of Pisa

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Leaning Tower of Pisa

I just read on the website children under 8 are not permitted to enter the tower.

Does it make sense to make a trip to Pisa if we wont be able to go inside the tower?

Or is it still nice to see it from outside.

Any help would be appreciated.

Are there any other things also to see in Pisa?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
65 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaning Tower of Pisa

How young are your children?

We are not encouraging anyone to be dishonest, but our experience is that many Italians are happy to make common sense exceptions to rules.

If you think your child can manage what is basically three or four flights of stairs, then we say go for it!

Be aware that they may make you check any large bags or purses (there is a check a short walk from the tower) but our experience is that enforcement of that policy seemed uneven and mostly enforced on younger visitors.

We would not climb the Duomo with small children, however...

The Field of Miracles in Pisa is beautiful and the church there is remarkable and still could be very fun. Just sitting around and maybe enjoying some Gelato with the kids.

Have fun!

Edited: 13 August 2014, 17:18
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaning Tower of Pisa

Thanks, will make a trip then.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,127 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaning Tower of Pisa

I wouldn't be dishonest and I wouldn't count on them bending the rules for you. The rules are there for a reason.

You don't need to climb the tower in order to have a wonderful visit. The views of the tower are wonderful as is the duomo. Just come back when the kids are older and have it as one of those saved experiences that you can do in the future.

Donna

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
65 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaning Tower of Pisa

Please. It's an arbitrary number.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 23:47
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,127 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaning Tower of Pisa

It's the number they've chosen and they have the right to set the rules as they see fit. They have those rules for safety and just because some people don't agree with them doesn't mean they encourage people to disregard them. I'm not suggesting that is what the OP has in mind as it seems they understand they won't be able to climb the tower. I think there are plenty of things to do other than climbing the tower and a trip to Pisa is certainly worth the stop.

Donna

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,225 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaning Tower of Pisa

Donna, I do hear what you are saying, but that is a very US attitude about rules. The Italians have a very relaxed attitude towards most rules, it's not disrespectful, it's the Italian way! Definitely go to the Piatzza del Miracoli. You can decide once you are there what you feel like doing with your family.

7. Re: Leaning Tower of Pisa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:17