We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Venice train station to port

Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Venice train station to port

In October 2014 my wife and I (both in our 60's) are catching the train from Florence to Venice and then boarding a cruise ship.

We have been told that taxi drivers don't like to take people from the train station to the port because the trip is too short for them. Can anyone please offer suggestions as to the best way to tackle this.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Venice train station to port

Taxis can't get to the train station, only to Piazzale Roma.

I suggest you get off the train in Mestre (the last land stop before Venice island, all trains stop there) and get a taxi from there to the port.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Venice train station to port

>>We have been told that taxi drivers don't like to take people from the train station to the port because the trip is too short for them.<<

Whoever told you that knows nothing about Venice, as taxis cannot even get to the train station.

Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Venice train station to port

We checked going fromFlorence to Mestre, but it's a non - stop train that goes through Mestre to Venice.

Is it too far or too difficult to walk over the connecting bridges with suitcases?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Venice train station to port

As far as I know all trains stop at Mestre. Tell me which one and I will check. Or go yourself to the www.trenitalia.com and enter Firenze SM Novella to Venezia SL your date and time and click on the little circle with an i in it. It will tell you all the stops.

You can walk over the Calatrava Bridge to Piazzale Roma or catch a vaporetto one stop. Then you can either take a taxi to the port or take the "People Mover" a sort of monorail, from the corner of P Roma to one end of the docks. You would then need to walk to the ship. Much depends on where it is moored.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Venice train station to port

All trains that use Santa Lucia station also stop at Mestre. And the trains from Florence to Venice usually also stop at Bologna and Padova.

6. Re: Getting from Venice train station to port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 05:16