We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains throughout Italy

14 posts
Save Topic
Trains throughout Italy

I just booked our trip Sorrento all the way to Venice with 7 cities in between with RailEurope thinking that it's the Eurostar. I feel very bothered now!!! It seems a trip of Sorrento to Rome is taking 2:30Hours for TrainItalia (which I booked) and that it may have taken only 1 Hour 10 Min with a faster train. Can someone tell me if the TrainItalia is a decent train operation or not?!!!

I already paid $740 for 3 passangers (mostly 1st class, some 2nd, only 1 economy) non-refundable and feel extremely disappointed. Help!!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,333 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains throughout Italy

The only train that services Sorrento is the Circumvesuviana, a local train that makes many stops between there and Naples. The trip from Sorrento to Naples usually takes 40-50 minutes. Once in Naples you can take the fast train to Rome in 70 minutes.

RailEurope is a broker and pads their prices. Trenitalia is the train operator in Italy.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,003 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains throughout Italy

Oh dear. RailEurope has put you onto a slow InterCity train from Naples to Rome, not the fast Freccia service.

You would have paid much less if you had booked direct with Trenitalia. The full price for an InterCity train is €24.50 and for a Freccia is €43. If you book well in advance, you can get tickets for €9 or €19.

There are no longer any trains in Italy called Eurostar.

3. Re: Trains throughout Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 07:15