We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This question is for the experienced "hostel traveler"

USA
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
This question is for the experienced "hostel traveler"

If you wanted to travel europe for a while, like two weeks to a month and you only wanted to stay in hostels what would you take as far as clothing? I couldnt imagine that you would take much since you want to travel light. Would bring only 2 pairs of paints or jeans and like two pairs of underware? And how would you wash your clothes? Are there any laundrymats?

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This question is for the experienced "hostel traveler"

Even if you stay in a hostel, you can still bring a suitcase. Are you imagining that you must carry all your belongings in a backpack? Not so - there are storage rooms and lockers for your suitcase. Your backpack carries stuff you need during the day. You want to pack light, but 2 pairs of underwear is too light in my humble opinion. Yes, there are laundrymats -- some hostels have a washer/dryer. Doing laundry is expensive though which explains why you see everyone's laundry hanging from their windows.

A S
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
654 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This question is for the experienced "hostel traveler"

I have never been in a hostel. I am staying at moderately priced 3 star hotels for my trip. I have heard that hostels sometimes have bedbugs that strangers share rooms. Is that true?

Myra, West Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: This question is for the experienced "hostel traveler"

Yes, strangers share rooms in the dorm style room that sleeps like 10 or more people. But many hostels also have rooms for 2, 3, and 4 people. I've heard about bedbugs as well, but I never ran into that problem. There are good places and bad places. You just have to do some research to help you find a reputable place. Not to offend anyone, but if you were to take a black light to your 3-4-5 star hotels, you might be amazed at that too.