We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help--Rome apartments and/or hotels? ---Two questions.

Kansas
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Topic
Need help--Rome apartments and/or hotels? ---Two questions.

BACKGROUND: Planning trip to Europe for myself, my wife and 2 daughters (ages 20 & 23 yrs). Rail will be our means of transport. In Italy, I have planned the first 2 nights in Venice-- then, 5 or 6 nights in Rome. Once in Rome, we intend to make day-trips to Pompei and Florence. QUESTION#1: Since we will be using trains from Venice to Rome--and trains for day-trips from Rome to Pompei and Florence, and a train to leave Rome for Paris, how important is it that we have lodging (perfer apartment) near the main Rome Train Stataion? ---Is an apartment 1 or 2 metro stops away from the station OK? Being too far from train station (in distace & time) really concerns me because---I want to make travel as easy as possible, ---For example, when arriving and departing Rome, we will need to get 4 people and their luggage between lodging and the train station (no easy task in my mind). QUESTION#2: Considering the location question (above), could you please recommend an apartment (perferred) --or hotel-- or rental agency that you know to reputable? ----Relevant factors; we'll be in Rome 5 or 6 nights (do Apts rent for less than 1 week). --We need to aware of budget---we don't need a 5 star apartment/hotel--but something clean and in an acceptable neighborhood. I would appreciate your help/advice. --Specifics would be nice. ---Jim.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,518 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help--Rome apartments and/or hotels? ---Two questions.

If you do not want to stay next to the Termini station, then I have two alternatives for you.

1. Within Walking distance of Ostiense train station: Hotel Santa Prisca(www.hotel santaprisca.it) This is a nice 3 star hotel in an excellent area(foot of the Aventine/Testaccio) of the city near the Baths of Caracalla,Pyrimide, and the Circus Maximus. The city trams stops in front and you have access to all the historic center. There are many neighborhood restaurants and the area is a good bargain without touristy places and good shopping.

From the Ostiense train station, you can make your trips to Pompeii (2hrs20mn)and Florence with only one change of trains)

2. Aurelia Residence San Pietro(www.aureliaresidence.it). This is within walking distance of the San Pietro Train Station. It is a 5 minute walk from the Vatican City in a lovely neighborhood with excellent restaurants and shoppng. This is an apartment complex which rents by the day or longer and includes breakfast. The VAtican is closeby and the city bus stops in front to the other areas of the historic center. This property is more expensive than the Santa Prisca. Again, you make your trips to Florence and Pompeii in the similar commute times(www.trenitalia.com) with one change of trains.

Hope that this is helpful and a good place to start.

Enjoy!!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help--Rome apartments and/or hotels? ---Two questions.

The one time not to cheap out is getting from one place to the next when luggage is involved. Taxis in Rome are very inexpensive. Take one, or two if needed, from the train station to your lodging and back to the train station on departure day. You will thank yourself for not having to lug those suitcases around.

Kansas
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help--Rome apartments and/or hotels? ---Two questions.

Thanks for respnses "ricardoBA" and "Dreaminof$$." Ricardo---I appreciate the specifics of your information--neighborhood sounds great --I will look into your suggestions. --Dreamin, you make an excellent point about cabs--- it is so obvious--yet I did not have cabs/taxis in mind--I was thinking trains and metro transportation. - --I just booked an apartment in Paris --1week of apartment cost = 4 days in hotel. Consequently, I am really leaning towards renting an apartment in Rome. If anyone has additional recommendations for apartments or apartment agencies, I would appreciate getting those recommedations. Remember, it does not need to be 5 stars. --a safe, convenient (to metro or sights) neighborhood would be great. ---Thanks. --Jim.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,518 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help--Rome apartments and/or hotels? ---Two questions.

Have you looked at: www.rentvillas.com,www.barclayweb.com,www.venere.com

Venere has a huge inventory of hotels, but also does apartments,residences and B&B's. Many of their rentals can be done per day versus weekly rentals required by other agencies.

The other two are US based so you can deal with them via toll free line and also, have some rentals by the day.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help--Rome apartments and/or hotels? ---Two questions.

For apartment rentals in Rome, go to www.romanhomes.com

This agency has apartments of all sizes in great locations through out Rome. The best thing about this agency is that the rental price includes all fees, such as utilities and cleaning, and the rental fee also includes free transportation to and from air port of train station.

When using rental companies you have to be sure that there are no hidden costs, and most rents do not include final cleaning and utilities. So be careful about that when choosing a rental!

Good luck and enjoy!

6. Re: Need help--Rome apartments and/or hotels? ---Two questions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 22:19