We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help: where to stay in Abruzzo?

Scherpenzeel, The...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Please help: where to stay in Abruzzo?

Dear all,

I will be spending a 3-week holiday in Italy in August 2011, planning to stay in the Abruzzo region for 15 days.

I have already done some homework and read the Bradt Guide “Abruzzo”.

I will be traveling by motorcycle and will be exploring the the Abruzzo region extensively. So, I would need your recommendations on where to stay in Abruzzo.

As I prefer to stay away from the coast, I am considering places like Avezzano, Sulmona, Ascoli Piceno, Sarnano, Teramo, Popoli. But I am open to your suggestions on better locations.

My budget would be up till Euro 70/day, and B&B, Agritourism or a small Hotel would be fine with me.

Finally, what roadmaps would you recommend for driving around Abruzzo?

Mille grazie in advance for your valuable input!

Paul

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help: where to stay in Abruzzo?

Paul you've picked some lovely places to stay. I particularly like Sulmona.

I understand that you don't want to stay along the coast but you might consider visiting Vasto and PIneto.

If a visit to Pineto attracts, you might want to stay in Atri, Citta Sant'Angelo or near Penne.

In the mountains, you might look at the area around Capestrano – Rocca Calascio – Santo Stefano di Sessanio – Castel del Monte – Farindola

But here is another approach.

Take a look at the festival dates in August and pick towns that have something special happening for example:

Cappelle Sul Tavo: Palio del Pupo

Lanciano: a medieval pageant and horse race. (Aug/Sept)

Civitella Alfedena: Folk Festival

Castel del Monte: La Notte Delle Streghe (Night of the Witches)

These are just examples, and right now I don't know the exact dates of the festivals, but perhaps another reader may be able to suggest "not to be missed" festivals in August, their dates, and where you can get more information.

Your Bradt Guide might help you there also.

Ciao!

Bodach http://aboutabruzzo.com

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
384 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help: where to stay in Abruzzo?

Hi!

Great to hear that you are looking to spend 15 days of your holiday in Abruzzo - what a great choice!

Some really good suggestions there from Bodach and I would think that the area around Rocca Calascio/Castel del Monte would be a motorcyclists dream; Campo Imperatore, with it's straight roads on a high plain will be absolutely breathtaking. Whilst around this area a ride up to Prati di Tivo and Prato Selva at the foot of Corno Grande is a must. From there, Teramo is within easy reach and has plenty of historical places of interest to visit. A ride out to Lago di Campotosto will also be very worthwhile and Civitella del Tronto, Campli and Ascoli Piceno (Le Marche) are all within easy reaching distance from Teramo.

And if you like tunnels, there is of course the 10km tunnel directly under the Gran Sasso!

As Bodach has said, they'll be plenty of sagre in August, all over Abruzzo although at the moment we've not seen the published list with dates.

You should be able to find some decent accommodation away from the coast that are within your budget. Look at the Trip Advisor listings for the best places - some will do special offers for longer stays.

Happy planning!

Scherpenzeel, The...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help: where to stay in Abruzzo?

Dear Bodach,

Thanks a lot for your really helpful reply! Also had a look at your Abruzzo-blog, good stuff.

I will wait until the list gets published with all the festival dates and then decide where I will base myself in Abruzzo - can't wait to cruise thru' the gorgeous landscape there.

Best regards, Paul

Scherpenzeel, The...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help: where to stay in Abruzzo?

Dear GrandeQuercia,

Thanks a lot for your valuable input! Any idea when this list with all the festival dates is due - would that be April/May timeframe?

Best regards, Paul

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,664 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help: where to stay in Abruzzo?

Sarnano and Ascoli Piceno are in Le Marche, not Abruzzo. You might want to spend part of your time in Le Marche, as a matter of fact. The National Park of the Sibilline Mountains straddles the border (and also the border with Umbria) and there are some very beautiful spots on both sides. There are many small and lovely towns inside the park.

Halfway between Sarnano and Ascoli Piceno, I highly recommend stopping at the Gola dell'Infernaccio (inside the national park) for a hike along the Tenna river.

I also especially like Sulmona, birthplace of Ovid.

Castel del Monte is well worth a visit, but a bit south of the range you seem to be considering.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,271 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help: where to stay in Abruzzo?

We enjoyed our stay in Scanno, a ski town in winter but quite charming in summer with walking and drives. The town is famous for the costumes of the women and you still see the older women in their dark dresses with tiny flowers on their aprons and their head scarves. Henri Cartier Bresson (photographer) took many photos here.

…blogspot.com/2008/12/scanno-by-mario-giacom…

While there we saw the parade for St Anthony's day which was also the day for first Communion for the children. There was a big parade through town and the children all dressed in white, a band etc.

www.nickbooth.id.au/Pages/Scanno.html

There is a very pretty recreational lake just outside the town as well.

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
384 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help: where to stay in Abruzzo?

Pleased to be of help.

We have last year's guide which we purchased at the edicola. We'll have a look to see if the 2011 guide is out and let you know.

If you would like to send your email address via a private message, we can perhaps scan the relevant pages and send them to you.

Best.

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
384 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help: where to stay in Abruzzo?

Just a quick follow up to the last post Paul.

The new guide will be published the first week in July!!

Generally the dates for the numerous sagre shift by a day into the following year and for specific celebrations keep the same date. So, if you would like us to send you copies of the pages for the 2010 sagre, just let us know by email.

Best regards

Robertson, South...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help: where to stay in Abruzzo?

Dear Paul,

I hope this is not too late but I know of an English lady who runs a lovely Bed and Breakfast guesthouse in Capestrano. The guesthouse is called Casa Belvedere. More details and pictures at http://www.stayincapestrano.com

You might want to look he up, very reasonably priced too.

Scherpenzeel, The...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help: where to stay in Abruzzo?

Dear Rodney(?),

Thanks a lot for this gem - looks absolutely great. I will definitely contact her.

Again, many thanks for your input.

Regards,

Paul