We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining on a Trabocchi?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
510 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Dining on a Trabocchi?

We are 2 couples (in which both husbands are avid fishermen) and will be traveling from Ortona area down the coastline and down around the Gargano Peninsula (spending 1 night in Peschici) in mid-September. I would love to surprise them with a dinner on one of the Trabocchi…. I saw mention of ones in Rocca San Giovanni, Fossacesia and outside of Peschici. With all the various books I have looked through and websites I have visited, I can’t for the life of me remember where I saw them. Can anyone give me anymore information on these or others? I’m guessing reservations would be required? How difficult might this be? ....Or am I too late in planning this? Is a lunchtime option possible? Can anyone give any first-hand experience with this? I will post this on the Pulgia forum as well. Thank you for any help you can provide.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining on a Trabocchi?

google is still your friend:

www.classetouriste.be/trabocchi-abruzzo/

there's more - I didn't actually read through it but was curious to see what was out there. I googled "dining on a trabocchi abruzzo" -

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
382 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining on a Trabocchi?

Hi. I recall you asking about the trabocchi last month and here is a link to the thread, which provides you with the information you need. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187769-i1386-k659…

I would certainly recommend making a reservation, especially if you plan to go on a weekend. Lunchtimes are very popular. I don't think you have left it too late at all, but making a reservation is best done by phone, which may prove interesting if you don't speak Italian.

It's a great experience and will be a wonderful surprise. Enjoy!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
510 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining on a Trabocchi?

Thank you Grande for leading me back to that thread! It seems the more ways I have to access my emails and the internet (smart phone, tablet, laptop, work computer) I find it that much harder to organize my information, remember where I read it, and to save links. I think this ever-changing-fast-moving technology will do me in. lol

(In re-reading the thread, I'm amazed at how much got removed by trip advisor?? curious)

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
382 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining on a Trabocchi?

You're welcome GalViolet. I know how you feel, but I take comfort in the fact that on some days I can still remember where I have read something! Not always though :)

The reason for the removal of so many posts is that some people see these forums as a way of self publicising their own businesses, be it a restaurant, hotel, B&B or apartment rental. Trip Advisor take a very dim view of this and anyone found to be soliciting for business will have their post removed and repeat offenders will have their account terminated. Harsh I know, but someone pushing their own business is hardly impartial to readers who are looking for a balanced opinion on where to stay, eat etc.,

Hope this helps explain, although it is a shame that some posts are removed as they often include very useful information, but then they go and spoil it all by saying something stupid.... cue for a song!

Happy planning!

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
294 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining on a Trabocchi?

Hi Gal/Violet,

In Pescara on the coast, just before you enter the Trabocchi area I recommend you eat at Taverna 58 it was one of our favourite dining experiences in our 5 weeks in Italy. I can still taste the tagliatelle with porcini mushrooms and the desserts...Divine! Our hotelier rang the restaurant to get us a booking. The restaurant is small and it was busy however we ate early and managed to get in on late notice.

We also stayed for 4 nights in Scerni, a tiny town not far from some of the towns you mentioned. We ate each night with my husbands family. In town there was a supermarket/smallgoods shop which sold everything and had the best fresh bread and wonderful salami and cheeses to snack on or they will make you a picnic lunch. I believe there are some good restaurants.

There was also a lovely family run dessert/pastry/café in Scerni with divine semifreddos and regional biscotti called Pasticceria Caffetteria La Scernese.

We had great accommodation in both Pescara and in Scerni. We do not stay with the relatives as we like to be more independent. We stayed at Villa San Giacomo and my brother in law always stays at an Agritourismo called Fattoria dell'uliveto because they produce the local smallgoods and you can eat in if you wish. He says the foods great just the same as when he was a boy.

We have no connection to any of these businesses GrandeQuerciaAbruzzo however I am so glad that people are taking the time to visit this beautiful part of Italy. There is little work in Scerni for our cousins children, one is a law graduate, except on the farm vineyard. He will probably migrate to Australia but some of his young friends are marrying and starting new businesses and keeping the villages and traditions alive. I came home with wonderful traditionally woven and embroidered linen towels with crochet trims and some great wine. There is no shop which sells the towels however these are small villages and everyone does know everyone usually through the local church and someones's aunt makes these beautiful things, you just have to ask at whatever place you stay.

Enjoy your visit and support the wonderful Abruzzi by writing your reviews on TA so we can continue to go back and enjoy it.

6. Re: Dining on a Trabocchi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 06:19