We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 to 5 days in Abruzzo

boston, ma
Level Contributor
64 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
4 to 5 days in Abruzzo

I have been to Tuscany, Amalfi coast, but never to this area. Any suggestions for lodging, dining, touring? We will be in the area mid June 2014.

Clifton Park, New...
Level Contributor
510 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 to 5 days in Abruzzo

Hi Gowest,

Abruzzo is very lovely and very untouristy. There are MANY little mountain villages to explore. A bigger city that I found beautiful and interesting is Sulmona, tiny but picturesque are Scanno and Opi. It is a mountainous area with lots of switchbacks but I think the scenery is spectacular. L'Aquila is beautiful and I was there right after the devastating earthquake so I do not know what condition it is in now.

I can't really recommend it because I do not have any first hand knowledge of it, but I have often suggested people look at Italyfarmstay.com near Pescosolido if they are looking for a little bit of Italy off the beaten path in that area. You can google it.

I believe the little farm stay can arrange cooking classes, hiking, horseback riding, cheese making. I don't know what interests you may have.

The cuisine of Abruzzo is delicious. Very simple and homey and hearty.

What kinds of things are you interested in?

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
384 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 to 5 days in Abruzzo

It's great to hear that you are considering Abruzzo for your vacation next summer and you really are spoilt for choice in terms of things to see and do here. Compared to the Amalfi Coast and Tuscany, Abruzzo is regarded as being off the beaten track and certainly not touristic, away from the main coastal resorts. Good food, friendly people, great landscapes and an abundance of flora and fauna, especially in the mountains and mid June is a lovely time of year to come

You will get lots of suggestions from other members I'm sure, but to help us point you in the right direction, let us know what type of things would be of interest to you (sea, mountains, culture, nature) and what type of accommodation you'd prefer.

Abruzzo is a big region, with 4 stunning national parks full of natural beauty, so a hire car is an absolute must for you to get the best out of your trip. The rural roads are quiet, so driving here is not stressful.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
384 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 to 5 days in Abruzzo

Italyfarmstay is in Lazio, not Abruzzo!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
64 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 to 5 days in Abruzzo

We will be four couples and enjoy wineries, great food, beaches, history (some enjoy shopping, although that is not my "thing"). We like clean rooms comfortable, separate bathrooms, and one of our group has mobility issues. I don't know if agritourism places are available or if such places have enough accommodations. Those places are usually more informal and you get to know the people better.

Clifton Park, New...
Level Contributor
510 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 to 5 days in Abruzzo

Grandequercia,

You are right of course. It is in Lazio, but fairly close to Abruzzo. My mistake.

6. Re: 4 to 5 days in Abruzzo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 November 2013, 19:40
Teramo
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 to 5 days in Abruzzo

One up and coming location is the small village of Valle San Giovanni, a frazione of Teramo in northern Abruzzo. Several villas, B&B's, and apartments there are available at a price of only about 250 euros/week. You will definitely be hearing more about this location in the near future. You can find out more by going to the village website: http://vallesangiovanni.com

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 to 5 days in Abruzzo

Buon giorno Gowest06 and everyone. During our last trip in Italy ended 3 weeks ago I've been lucky to find one of the newest and complete regional tourist guide book edited by La Repubblica for the region Abruzzooo!

Through it, i've found important confirmations and other good addresses which i was unaware of.

If you would like to stay close enough to the coast consider the agrit. Gioie di Fattoria in Controguerra. They have 3 bedrooms and 4 apartments, some suitable for disabled. They grow vines, olive trees and grains. Lastly, it is easily reachable once leaving the autostrada. Alternatively you could check the Fattoria di Leopoldo in Pineto. They have 7 bedrooms with ensuites, again suitable for disabled.

Inland, the town of Abbateggio has 2 agrit. built more like country houses which are Antiche Dimore and Portone. Some of their websites are very well designed:

www.gioiedifattoria.it

www.agrileopoldo.it

www.antichedimore.net

www.borgosanmartino.eu

9. Re: 4 to 5 days in Abruzzo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2013, 22:02
Level Contributor
203 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 to 5 days in Abruzzo

Hi,

If you like mountains, you will love Abruzzo. Scanno is a great town high up in the mountains to spend some time and enjoy a more local experience. L'Aquila is in ruins at the moment because of the earthquake, but the Italian aid organisations have done an amazing job trying to save guard the buildings. It is an experience to visit the city in it's current state. Some of the buildings worth seeing have been restored. Some not, but even with the lovely engineered temporay works are worth a visit. The city centre is unique in it's condition of a full restoration project albeit far to slow for all the residents and shopkeepers who were forced to leave the city centre . Also from this city you can visit the area of the Gran Sasso, the highest mountain range in central Italy with some lovely mountain villages. Ascoli Piceno, it just outside Abruzzo but worth a day trip to see the centre with a lovely square and some nice local museums. It all depends a bit on what you want to see. Personally Sulmona is not that great for me. But what you also can do is to take the local train from Sulmona to L'Aquila and potentially to Rieti and go back. It gives a feel what the mountains are like without the driving.