We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laurenzana and Anzi

Which Potenza hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
old bridge,new...
Level Contributor
693 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Laurenzana and Anzi

Hi TA

My great grandparents are from these two towns. I will be in Positano late April 2012. I want to visit laurenzana and Anzi. Does anyone know how I will be able to get there by transportation since I will not have a car..Also, I understand there are no hotels in Laurenzana or Anzi. Does that mean I would stay in Potenza? How would I get to Laurenzana and Anzi from there? I will be visiting the Churches in each town because I know they had to be married in one of them... does anyone know how many churches and the names of them for Anzi and Laurenzana?

36 replies to this topic
Potenza, Italy
Level Contributor
304 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Laurenzana and Anzi

Nancy, You may also have problems being able to rent at your age, some companies won't rent to those over 70. There is bus service from Potenza, a taxi in Potenza or you can hire a driver. Depends on where you would be coming from and what time of year.

The church on top is only open by arrangements with Don Nicola but there are spectacular view from there.

You might try mybellabasilicata.com for help in arrangements to get to and around the area.

Marlboro, New Jersey
3 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Laurenzana and Anzi

Thank you for your response. I would never think of driving, and so your suggestion of mybella basilicata seems to fit my needs perfectly. I hope to travel to Anzi in spring or fall do 2015, so I have time to prepare.

The offerings on that site make the whole trip,possible. Thank you so much. Do you know if that church on the top of the hill is accessible by car? That hill looks really steep though I did climb the hills in Tuscany and Umbria just two weeks ago..... Thank you so much. I'm sure to be in touch.

Nancy

Potenza, Italy
Level Contributor
304 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Laurenzana and Anzi

There is a road around the backside of the mountain that goes to the church. Also, since Anzi is at 1000 meters climbing the hill can be a challenge if you aren't used to our altitude.

Arizona
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Laurenzana and Anzi

It seems that the story of our ancestors playing instruments and coming to the USA as young traveling minstrals under the "guidance" of capos or guardians that seemed to abuse these young boys, is a repeat story from many from Laurenzana, and Potenza including my grandfather and great uncle and many friends history also. they preyed on the dispair of the parents as times were dificult there back then with promise of fortunes to be made to send back home. Many changed their names in fear of their lives from the abuse of the padrones.

Arizona
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Laurenzana and Anzi

It seems that the story of our ancestors playing instruments and coming to the USA as young traveling minstrals under the "guidance" of capos or guardians that seemed to abuse these young boys, is a repeat story from many from Laurenzana, and Potenza including my grandfather and great uncle and many friends history also. they preyed on the dispair of the parents as times were dificult there back then with promise of fortunes to be made to send back home. Many changed their names in fear of their lives from the abuse of the padrones.

36. Re: Laurenzana and Anzi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 17:35

Reply to: Laurenzana and Anzi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Potenza