We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

potenza or cosenza

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
potenza or cosenza

Hi,

After travel 2 weeks in Sicily, I will take the train from Messina to Bari. But to avoid a long & exhausted journey, I would prefer a middle point to take a break for one or two days. Which one of the following is more worth to visit? Potenza or Cosenza? I have read some post and told that Cosenza just like a ghost city. Pls give some advice.

Thanks a lot

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,263 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: potenza or cosenza

So far as I can see, the trains do not stop at either of those places. Surely it would make more sense to stop at one of the places where you have to change trains?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava, London
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: potenza or cosenza

Unless you already booked your ticket, I suggest to rethink your plans. Messina to Bari is a really long journey, at least nine hours and a couple of changes. Flying is much quicker, more comfortable and sometimes cheaper. Blu Express flies from Catania to Bari. This way you could spend that "one or two days" in Puglia or Sicily where there are more interesting places than along the way.

If you stick to your plan, a possible stop depends on what trains you will take and where you will change. Have you considered Sybaris?

Potenza, Italy
Level Contributor
338 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: potenza or cosenza

I only go to Potenza weekly because I have to, I'd not recommend it as one of your stops. Potenza is an administrative city and doesn't have a lot to offer for visitors. There are many other beautiful places in Basilicata but it doesn't sound like they would fit your plans.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,390 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: potenza or cosenza

Really avoid the train between Sicily and Puglia and fly.

Puglia to Sicily and Sicily to Puglia Public Transportation:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187874-i799-k4909…

Vagabonda

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: potenza or cosenza

Hi,

Is there any bus from Messina to Lecce ? Is it a daily overnight bus? How long it takes?

Thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,390 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: potenza or cosenza

Yes, there's bus service from MESSINA - Piazza della Repubblica to LECCE - Foro Boario-Terminal City-P.ta d'Europa, 34,00.

Click on "Le nostre linee", then "Sicilia - Puglia/S.G. Rotondo/Termoli", enter "Messina".....

http://www.onbus.it/Avvia.rtm

There's a day bus departing Messina at 11.30 and arriving in Lecce at 19.15, or there's a night bus departing Messina at 23.10, and arriving in Lecce at 6.45.

Vagabonda

Edited: 26 February 2014, 12:38
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: potenza or cosenza

Hi,

Do I need to book the tickets in advance? Will it be full if I only buy the tickets upon my arrival?

Thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,390 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: potenza or cosenza

Yes you should book in advance, and if you were to follow through from screen to screen on the bus website, you would see the availability of seats.

Vagabonda

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: potenza or cosenza

If I take a day time bus, is the scenery good? Will the bus stop frequently? Personally, I don't like to take a over-night ride although it saves time.

10. Re: potenza or cosenza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 15:15
Get answers to your questions about Potenza