We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brancaleone

lisalittle1958
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Brancaleone

We recently bought a property through First Property Choice, www.firstpropertychoice.com, who by the way have been very professional, and now are looking for some travel help. We live in Dublin and wondering if anyone knows of any direct flights starting up anytime soon to Reggio or Lamezia? Also if anyone has stayed in the Grand in Siderno?

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Siderno
Siderno
Province of Reggio Calabria, Italy
Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Brancaleone

Dear God Lisa, Why OH! Why did you buy in a place like Lamezia???????? Just back from this place with my husband and 3 children. We had to stay one night, not by choice, due to our early morning flight with Ryanair. We stayed in the ;Grand!!!!! Hotel' and I use the name 'Grand' very loosely. Without a doubt this is the worst hotel and place we have ever stayed in and we have spent many years travelling Italy and the rest of Europe.

People very insular and obviously still not used to 'outsiders'.

Think of Fawlty Towers as regard's this '4 star' hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
bolton
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Brancaleone

Where did you go in Calabria as your comments about the place and people are the total opposite of my experience. I cant comment on the hotel as ive never stayed there.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brancaleone

Caroline maybe had a bad experience at the Grand of Lamezia but this doesn't take away that Calabria is a beautiful region with a stunning sea/beaches, tons of history and very friendly people.

So far there are no news about new connections to Lamezia airport. Major airports from Lamezia's are still the usual London, Rome, Milan (x2) and Pisa.

Turin, Bologna and Bergamo are also connected and could be handy.

www.sacal.it/index.php…

Salvo

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Turin
Turin
Province of Turin, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Bergamo
Bergamo
Province of Bergamo, Italy
Calabria
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brancaleone

Lisa,

there are no flights just yet but I've heard that Calabrian Airports are due to get funding: www.calabrialiving.com/forum/forum/YaBB.pl…

so there might be something in the future.

I personally think Reggio will never get direct international flights because they say its runway is too small for big jets to land. There are only flights to Malta in the summer.

There are three airports in Calabria the biggest being Lamezia. Then there is Reggio Calabria and finally Crotone S. Anna airport which has started low cost national flights.

Regards

Calabriasun

Mentioned in this post
Reggio Calabria
Reggio Calabria
Province of Reggio Calabria, Italy
Crotone
Crotone
Province of Crotone, Italy
5. Re: Brancaleone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Calabria