We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beaches in Calabria

springfield
Level Contributor
167 posts
353 reviews
Save Topic
best beaches in Calabria

Looking for insights into the best beaches in Calabria. We travel with two children, and tend to like sandy beaches, relatively quiet (been to Sardinia, Sicily, Elba, Puglia, Salento for beaches). Water quality is so important to us. I have read good things, and we are thinking of staying near Grotticelle beach and traveling around. I was surprised that I didn't see it as a Blue Flag, and Tropea as well. I saw only a total of 4 beaches as compared to other areas of Italy. Is that because they haven't applied for the credentials, or the quality is poor? Is there a map online of secret coves, or any advice would be appreciated!

Likely To Sell Out
Naples and Pompeii Day Trip from Rome
2,329 reviews
from US$150.29*
Ancient Rome Half-Day Walking Tour
2,008 reviews
from US$54.54*
Rome by Night Tour
482 reviews
from US$55.75*
Rome in a Day Tour by Electric Bike
84 reviews
from US$119.99*
Vancouver, BC Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best beaches in Calabria

Cherrye Moore, who lives in Calabria, has a very informative web site and blog called something like la bella vita with lots of good travel info on where to go in Calabria. She must have something on beaches. Googling her would take you there.

Pizzo, Calabria
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best beaches in Calabria

Hi

Have a look at this article by Michelle Fabio on Calabrian Beaches:

…about.com/od/…calabria-coast.htm

She mentions the Legambiente 5 sails rating, and these beaches being some of the cleanest in Italy. The Capo Vaticano coastline is stunning with white sandy beaches and gorgeous turqoise seas, all along the Coast of the Gods (Costa degli Dei) from Pizzo to Ricadi.

You can come with confidence, and I know you will love the beaches.

Anna

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: best beaches in Calabria

this website has some good suggestions for beaches in Calabria and Italy

http://www.findmybeach.com/italy

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best beaches in Calabria

You can't go wrong in the Capo Vaticano area Groticelle is great - it is however the most popluar and can get crowded in high season - there are others all around that area that are lovely too.

There is a beach where the resot of Il Gabbiano is - fantastic. Also Tonnicello beach is good. Santa Maria is very accessible and has 2 fantastic fish restaurants right on the beach. For a tiny cove more for a swim than beach and one restaurant on beach - goto Coccorino ( good parking too)

springfield
Level Contributor
167 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best beaches in Calabria

Thanks, we just returned, and the beaches in late June/early July were fabulous, and not too crowded. We even enjoyed the city beaches of Tropea, but also really liked the ones you mentioned. !e also enjoyed swimming at Stromboli.

6. Re: best beaches in Calabria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Calabria
Recent Conversations