We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento to Calabria and Sicily

potomac, md
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sorrento to Calabria and Sicily

could someone please give me an advise, i woud like to fly to Palmero and rent a car and go to Taromina and then to Sorrento and fly to US from Naples, i would like to know how is the drive between Calabria to Sorrento

thanks

sara

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento to Calabria and Sicily

Avoid driving in Palermo and Palermo’s ring road.

You might also drive the interior autostrada rather than the coastal autostrada to Taormina.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k4998…

The A3 Reggio Calabria-Salerno has been undergoing a 15-year long reconstruction program, so expect delays and check road conditions. Traffic would be lighter at night and early morning, but expect trucks, except for Sundays, but traffic is heavier on weekends around the seaside.

Check this site for road conditions along the A3.

www.stradeanas.it/index.php…

http://goo.gl/wI8zG

Vagabonda

potomac, md
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento to Calabria and Sicily

Thanks so much

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento to Calabria and Sicily

Prego Sarapotomac - My pleasure...

Vagabonda

potomac, md
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento to Calabria and Sicily

hi again, thanks so much, i am planning a trip for the end of march , flying to palermo and renting a car going through sicily to Taromina to Reggio and sorrento and fly out of Naples , any suggestions on cities in sicily and is the road construction finish between Reggio to Sorrent??

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento to Calabria and Sicily

How much time will you spend in Sicily?

It’s difficult to drive in and around Palermo, and you wouldn’t need or want a car in Palermo. Since you’re heading to Taormina, take the train from Palermo to Cefalù and hire the car in Cefalù. If you plan to see Agrigento, you might also take the Cuffaro bus from Palermo to Agrigento and hire the car in Agrigento.

Siracusa would be worth a visit.

The road construction in Calabria is ongoing, a 15-year project – Click on the links above to see the construction areas.

Vagabonda

potomac, md
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento to Calabria and Sicily

thanks so much

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento to Calabria and Sicily

Prego Sarapotomac,

You might also consider flying from Catania to Naples, or the ferry from Catania to Naples, or Messina to Salerno.

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

potomac, md
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorrento to Calabria and Sicily

Sorry so much i can not find the road construction in English , we are planning a 12 day trip getting to Palermo on March 29th and renting a car and spending time in Sicily for 7 days or so and then driving to Sorrento and flying back from Naples on April 10th, could you please let me know how to get from sicily to sorrento, are the roads ok?? when is the best time to travel (early morning) , thanks so much for your help

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorrento to Calabria and Sicily

It would be difficult to predict the conditions of the roads at the time of your travels – The best you could do is check to see where work is in progress.

You’ll also be travelling around Easter, always a busy time on the roads.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k4359…

You would take the autostrada (A3) through Calabria northward – Check driving routes and “estimated” driving times on ViaMichelin.

http://www.viamichelin.com/

Traffic would be lighter at night and early morning. Expect trucks except for Sundays, but weekends are busy nearer seaside towns.

Just allow time....

Vagabonda

potomac, md
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorrento to Calabria and Sicily

Thanks so much for your help, i am looking so forward to this trip

Get answers to your questions about Calabria
Recent Conversations