We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to Calabria

US
3 posts
Save Topic
trip to Calabria

Hello! I just have one night in Calabria and I'm not sure where to stay. I'm looking for family in San Demetrio Corone and probably Corigliano Scalo. Does anyone know of anywhere we can stay (there are 6 of us; mostly family members) in that area? We're taking the bus/train from Naples (please help; we want to stop in Pompeii on the way down; should we do the train or bus, it will be a Sunday? which train?) and once we get to a hotel look for another bus to San Demetrio Corone? Do you know a website I can use to find the times for both buses (especially SDC)

Italy
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to Calabria

Hello Lanctot!

I'm from Cosenza so i'll try to help you.

I don't know the reason why you're coming to San Demetrio Corone or Corigliano Calabro...have you got relatives there? Or are you coming for tourism?

If you want to go to Pompei from Naples, before arriving in Corigliano, the best way is:

Naples - Pompei - by train

and then Pompei - Paola (may be change) - Cosenza - by train

Cosenza - Corigliano Calabro by bus

About train you can contact www.trenitalia.it, about bus you have to catch SIMET bus (www.simetspa.it).

In order to arrive in San Demetrio Corone, i think there are bus from Corigliano, but i don't know about it.

Anyway, it's a long trip in just one day because connection aren't really fast and good. If your intention is visit Calabria, this is not the best trip; if you have to visit Corigliano or SDC you can contact me again and i'll try to help you in the best way.

US
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to Calabria

Hello! Have I replied to your very kind message? I'm sorry if I already did. Yes, we are traveling from Naples to Corigliano and San Demetrio to see family. You mentioend there might be a better way. Do you mind telling me? I have many young children (and 5 teenagers) so it's hard for me to have good results from my limited time researching. We will spend a couple of days in that area (I haven't found a hotel yet) and then travel by bus (I've heard that it's very common to be robbed on the trains) hopefully up the east coast to Pesaro then Urbino. Can you advise on that? It seems everything I look at has me go back to Naples or Rome and then take a bus.

Thank you!

Kara Lanctot

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
8,590 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to Calabria

Hello Lamctot:

Are you stayed already in Corigliano Calabro?

I stayed in Corigliano Scalo past february, but in family`s houses. But I saw a good hotel located in Via Nazionale, called "Gallo D`Oro" , very known between of coriglianesi!

I arrived from Roma to Corigliano, with "Simet" line of buses and it stopped in a service station, few blocks from the house of my relatives, who came to seek us.

www.hotelgallodoro.net/english/index2.htm

www.italybus.it/linee_compagnie.asp…

ciao!!!

4. Re: trip to Calabria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 03:18
Get answers to your questions about Cosenza