We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cosenza & Saracena, Italy

Neenah, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
Cosenza & Saracena, Italy

I am planning a summer trip to Consenza & Saracena, Italy and looking for things to do and see in the area. I will be traveling with my parents who are in their 70's and my teenage children.

Dublin...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cosenza & Saracena, Italy

Hello FregaA,

I could tell you something only about Cosenza. If you stay right in the city I think the old town is a must see. It's spreaded on a small hill and, at its top, there is a castle. It's pretty picturesque to walk(or drive) through its narrow street where you will find the "Duomo"(Cathedral) and the Theatre of the town. It could be pretty empty if you go in August as people tend to be on holidays (or on a day trip) to the nearby sea or mountain (especially from the 10th of Aug to the 20th).

If you go in July, a multicultural festival called "invasioni" takes place in the old town..usually mid July.

Sea and mountain are about 30min away (by car or train) from the city, then the distance depends on which town (village) you wanna reach.

You could go to Sila (Camigliatello o San Giovanni in Fiore) if you like mountain. Here it's where people escape from the usually "heated" Cosenza during the summer time.

If you like sea you could go along the Thirrenian Cost visiting little town like Paola (the nearest from Cosenza), San Lucido, Fiumefreddo (here there is a stunning view from the town which is located at the top of a hill), Amantea,

Diamante (Murales) ,Praia a Mare, Scalea, San Nicola Arcella (these last 3 are about 1 hour and 30min away from Cosenza and they are one next to each other more or less)...and more (I mentioned the ones I like most).

From Scalea you could go up to the Pollino National Park (Parco nazionale del Pollino).

Hope you will enjoy it!

Have a nice trip!

Neenah, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cosenza & Saracena, Italy

Thank you so much for this great info. There really is not much information in travel books, etc about the area. We will certainly be following your tips.

3. Re: Cosenza & Saracena, Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2012, 05:32
Get answers to your questions about Cosenza