We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation ??'s -ferries,trains/cars Naples, Sorrento

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation ??'s -ferries,trains/cars Naples, Sorrento

We will be arriving in Naples airport around 10:30 on 9/8/08 and are heading to Sorrento then Capri. After this leg of the trip we will be renting a car.

here are my questions:

1. Getting to Sorrento; Does a ferry make sense from Naples to Sorrento or are we better off taking the train? Which is easier/faster? Cost is not as much an issue as ease of travel after a long plane trip(Boston-Rome-Naples)

2. I am assuming there is taxi service in Sorrento from both the ferry and the train station - is this accurate?

3. We are leaving Capri on a monday morning to either Sorreento or Naples and traveling towards Rome

-Which would people recommend (Sorrento or Naples) for ease of car rental and highway access?

-are there car rental offices near the ferry port in Naples? Sorrento?

Thanks for any help you can offer

Mentioned in this post
Naples Airport
Naples Airport
Naples, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Naples
Naples
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Hoverfly Divisione SAM
Taxis & Shuttles, Helicopter Tours, Private Tours
Servizio Taxi
Taxis & Shuttles
LT Group
Taxis & Shuttles
Tours & Transfers
Boat Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Historical & Heritage Tours
Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation ??'s -ferries,trains/cars Naples, Sorrento

If you're traveling with luggage, which I assume you are, the easiest thing would be to get a taxi from the airport to the ferry (marina grande, if I remember correctly). There is taxi service in Sorrento from the ferry quay but depending on your hotel, you could probably walk.

I've never rented a car as driving is a nightmare in this area of Italy, if it was me I'd probably take a train or boat.

ps, there's been an ongoing garbage strike in Naples for the past year, so hopefully for you it clears up by your trip. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Italy
Italy
Europe
Naples
Naples
washington dc
Level Contributor
26 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation ??'s -ferries,trains/cars Naples, Sorrento

Don't drive in Naples!! I wouldn't recommend driving on the Amalfi Coast either - buses are frequent and reliable and the traffic is horrid (we were there in October 2007 for 2 weeks). We had planned on renting a car in Solerno and going to the Cilento, but didn't have the international drivers license now required in Italy, so spent the full 2 weeks hiking the Amalfi Coast - lovely!

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation ??'s -ferries,trains/cars Naples, Sorrento

The only driving we'll be doing is at the end of our stay in Capri. right now we will be picking up a car at the Train station in Naples. The only naples driving we will have is from the train station to the highway heading for Umbria. Is it that difficult, are there signs etc? we have driven in Italy on other trips, have decent maps and are familiar with the road systems in Italy.

My other BIG question is: Are there ferries from Naples to Sorrento or should we take a bus? train? We will arrive at Naples airport on a Monday at approximately 11:20 - We really do want the easist (and Quickest) option to Sorrento (where we will be staying for two nights before Capri). I am leaning toward the ferry if it is an option - seeems the most relaxing. I would appreciate any help or insights others may have about this

Thanks

jhg

Mentioned in this post
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Naples
Naples
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples Airport
Naples Airport
Naples, Italy
4. Re: Transportation ??'s -ferries,trains/cars Naples, Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 13:16