We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review Campi Flegrei&Naples

Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
18 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Review Campi Flegrei&Naples

I just spent 8 days in the Campi Flegrei area in the very small town of Lucrino, close to Pozzuoli. I had a great time with my 16 year old daughter. We got around mainly by train. This is cheap(1 euro per 90 minutes), easy and reasonably comfortable. Validate your ticket in the little white box at the stations.

Latest trains from Naples were at 21.20 and that suited us fine, as we didn't feel like hanging out in Naples too late after dark. We had to walk a few back alleys to the Cumana station, but we never, ever felt uneasy. We talked to people a lot, asking for directions etc., and everybody were ever so sweet and helpful. Very few speak english, so I'm going to learn much more Italian before my next visit. But still: a few words really go a long way!

We loved Naples. It's loud, exhausting and rough around the edges, but it's fantastic. We took the neccessary precautions and paid attention to our gut feeling and we didn't see or experience anything disturbing.

Buy food from the heated counters along the streets in the evening, almost everything tastes delicious!

If you should decide to go west, Pozzuoli is a very nice town. They actually have the third biggest amphi theatre in Italy. It measures only a few metres less across than the Colosseum in Rome!! On the outskirts you even find a bubbling and spitting volcano-crater. The town itself is very pleasant and we actually did most of our shopping there. Great coffee and ice cream too. Ferries to Ischia and Procida leave several times a day from the easy accessible harbour.

We ate most of our evening meals where we stayed,- in Lucrino. The reataurants "Il Capriccio" and the "Lucrino" both had the most delicious seafood, pasta and pizza. To our taste the pizza was actually better here than in Naples!

The beaches stretch out along the bay, but they were a little disappointing. We managed to find a spot or two which were acceptable and the water itself seemed to be clean enough, but the surroundings were not too inviting. The countryside on the other hand is beautiful, green and lush. Take a walk to lago Averno, in ancient times believed to be the entrance to Hades. Close by is Monte Nuovo,-'Europes youngest mountain only 500 yrs old. There is a lot of history here, and well worth a trip.

La Bayadere
Gift & Speciality Shops
Ceramiche Corinaldesi
Gift & Speciality Shops
Solimene Art
Art Galleries, Gift & Speciality Shops
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
104 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review Campi Flegrei&Naples

Hello Hibe

I will be travelling to the naples area with my 15 year old son in a few days time. We will be staying a week and are splitting it 4 1/2 days in Sorrento and 2 days in Naples. The Sorrento bit is reasonably sorted as pompei, herculaneum, vesuvius and oplontis are the purpose of the trip. The Naples bit is much less sorted. Only 2 days and so much we could do. We will spend at least 1/2 day at the big museum. We are staying somewhere between Via toledo and the Cumana station. I'd like your view on this area as a base as we will be eating around there at night.

Main purpose of this post is to ask about the Solfatara and amphitheatre. My son is keen to go to the Solfatara. Given what little time we have in Naples, is it worth the trip?how long do you think we will need to get there and have a decent look? Is the Amphitheatre close to pozzuoli metro station as we'd like to visit this tooif at all possible. Thanks for your comments on Naples. I keep getting told scary tales and wonder if we are doing the right thing stopping in naples at all but your comments suggest we should persevere.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,518 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review Campi Flegrei&Naples

\\we recently were in Sorrento and went on a guided tour of Solfatara, and the Museo Nazionale Archeologico, the tour lasted nearly all day and was very interesting as our guide an Italian Lady also gave us a tour in the coach of many Naples landmarks, it would of been hard to cover so much under ones own steam, a very enjoyable day

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
18 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review Campi Flegrei&Naples

Hi youngatheart21!

Pozzuoli first: The amphitheatre is a short but steep walk up the hill from the train station. When we were there it was closed on wednesdays. Read a bit about it on beforehand because there are no guides. Tourist office in Pozzuoli has a good brochure.

A walk to the Solfatara is fun, It's a longer walk from the station&town centre, but easy. Pozzuoli is all in all fairly easy to navigate, and you wont have any problems doing the volcano and theatre in a day, lunch break included. From Naples I think the train to Pozzuoli took about 25 minutes maybe a little more. Trains leave every 20 minutes from Cumana (07, 27 and 47 every hour)Remember to validate ticket in little white box.

Regarding Naples and the area around Via Toledo & Cumana Station: As i mentioned we never felt unsafe. We didn't eat in any restaurants, but grabbed something along the way. It was all yummy! Via Toledo is fun but noisy and polluted. It is also the edge of the Spanish quarters. You don't want to go in there, but the streets are picturesque to view from a distance. We also went up and down the Via Chiaia for a little shopping, famous pizza at Brandi (the Margherita, you know!) and coffee and cakes at Gambrinius. (I absolutely loved Gambrinius, no matter how much of an expensive tourist magnet it may be!)

Hope this is useful, and enjoy your trip!