We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Southern Italy Trip

Brisbane
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a Southern Italy Trip

These questions really relate to several areas so I am not sure which forum I should use but thought I would start here.

A group of 6, we will be travelling in Italy in May and June 2011. After 6 days in Venice and Rome (with a quick stop in Florence) we will be boarding a ship in Civitavecchai for a 17 night cruise. We return to Civitavecchai on 31 May for a trip to Southern Italy.

I am not sure I have planned this part of the trip correctly but I know I will get the right advice here.

What we are planning at present is:

Day 1 - Leave Civitavecchai by train for either Sorrento or Salerno (not sure which will be best) to pick up a car then travel via Paestum to probably Marina di Camerota or further to Sapri for the night. Not sure where to stop for the night as we want to go to the grottos at Palinuro. Maybe we should stop there. I am also not sure where to pick up the car from as we will be going to Positano for 6 nights after the driving part of the trip.

Day 2 - Head for Matera for 2 nights travelling via Aliano and Pisticci.

Day 3 - enjoy Matera (is 2 nights too much).

Day 4 - Head to Alberobello travelling via Montescaglioso and Tranto (lunch stop) then Martina Franca and Locorotondo with a side trip to Ostuni if we have time. I am not sure if we are trying to do too much this day.

Day 5 - Head to Bari for probably 2 nights. One of our party has a friend here hence the 2 nights. We would like to visit Trani during this time.

Day 6 - Bari

Day 7 - Head back to Sorrento or Salerno to drop off the car. Would like to travel via Barletta and Melfi. We want to visit Herculean and Mt Vesuvius before we drop off the car and then travel to our accommodation in Positano for 6 nights.

Last day we have to travel to Rome to catch our flights back to Australia. This is another problem as the flight leaves at 13:45 which means we have to be at the airport at 10:45. I am not sure we can get from Positano to the airport by then. We were thinking of using the train.

Sorry about all the detail but hopefully it gives a bit of a feel for what we are trying to do.

Is it sensible and what are the problems or things we could do better.

Thanks

AllanWW

1. Re: Planning a Southern Italy Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2011, 07:17