We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP !! I need the cheapest / quickest transport from Naples

New Market, Maryland
Level Contributor
653 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
HELP !! I need the cheapest / quickest transport from Naples

My husband and I will be flying into Naples and staying in Amalfi . The travel agent is telling me it's $214 each way with a private driver. There has to be a more economical way - right ? Please let me know if you know if there is definate bus service from the airport and then from Amalfi to the train station b/c from Amalfi we'll be traveling to Rome.

If you know any other alternative that wodul be great as well and if you know the approximate cost that would be great too.

thanks!!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP !! I need the cheapest / quickest transport from Naples

You need a new travel agent. A private driver taking you to Amalfi should be perhaps 100 euros (about $130).

That would obviously be the quickest and easiest thing to do, especially after a long flight from the U.S. But if you're on a tight budget or prefer to save your funds for great meals instead, you can do this:

Take a bus to the Naples Train station (Piazza Garibaldi). Buses leave the airport every half hour and costs 3 euros. If you take a taxi instead, the flat rate is 19.50 euros. Keep an especially close eye on your luggage when walking around in Piazza Garibaldi.

From there you can take a train to Salerno for 8 euros. In Salerno, you can catch a SITA bus to Amalfi. There are one or two buses every hour, depending on time of day, and day of week. The trip takes 70 minutes and costs maybe 2-3 euros. The bus terminal is very close to the train station.

Depending on when you arrive, your willingness to wait, etc., you can also catch a SITA bus to Amalfi from Naples (I believe the stop is a couple blocks north of the train station on Via Ferrara). According to the schedule I've seen (link below), buses leave daily (except Sundays and holidays) at 10AM, 2:15PM, 4:15PM, and 5:30PM. The cost is around 3 euros.

sitabus.it/sitabus/…Quadro-XV-2.pdf

Depending on the time of year (basically April to Oct), you can also take a boat from Naples to Amalfi. I don't know the details.

I'll be making the trip from Naples to Amalfi myself on

April 1st (which is why I've looked into all this stuff). Hope this helps, and good luck!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP !! I need the cheapest / quickest transport from Naples

kellyjester,

Ia addition to what iikdc suggested, you could take a bus from the airport to Sorrento http://www.bus.it/curreri/autolinee.htm and from Sorrento you could take a bus, ferry or private car to Amalfi.

From Amalfi take the sita bus to Salero for the trip to Rome or take the ferry to Salerno.

3. Re: HELP !! I need the cheapest / quickest transport from Naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2007, 23:26
Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP !! I need the cheapest / quickest transport from Naples

Dear kellyjester,

If the schedule works, you can think about taking the €7 SITA bus from Napoli Capodichino Airport to Salerno Piazza della Concordia. They charge quite a bit (€5) for extra luggage, however. The bus, a grey Buono Tourist one, leaves Napoli Capodichino at 5:50am, 9:10am, 5:45PM, and 11:15pm. sitabus.it/sitabus/…Salerno-Capodichino.pdf

Then if you're travelling Apr 1 - Oct 31, you can walk behind the pole-like monument in the parking lot to the ramp leading to the pier to take a 35 minute boat ride to Amalfi. It costs €4.50 a person and luggage costs €1.50 per bag.

coopsantandrea.com/it/…

Otherwise, you can walk across the street, across the parking lot, and across the big street (Corso Garibaldi) to wait for the SITA bus at the SITA bus stop under the orange and black Snaidero sign. You would need to buy a bus ticket (E3 €1.80) from the bar across the street from where you are dropped off at Piazza della Concordia. You could also buy a bus ticket from Bar Cioffi which is near the SITA bus stop. Before boarding the bus, you would need to pull up on the black handle on the panel on the outside of the bus near where the passenger door opens, slide your luggage in the compartment, shut the panel door down, board the bus, and stamp your ticket in the timeclock machine near the driver. For a view of the ocean, you can sit on the left side of the bus (facing the driver's back once inside the bus).

The SITA bus ride from Salerno to Amalfi takes around 1 hour and passes practically every hour on the hour Mon-Sat (non holidays) until 10:30pm. This SITA schedule will last until around May 31, 2007:

sitabus.it/sitabus/…QUADROXV_inv_3.pdf

If you get carsick, you could think about taking a ferry. If it's windy and/or ocean conditions are rough, you will need to use the buses, trains, and/or Circumvesuviana Trains.

The SITA bus stop around the corner from Napoli Centrale FS Train Station is on Via G. Ferraris near the Ramada Hotel's Garage sign. The Ramada Hotel's name is written in huge red letters on the hotel so it's easy to identify after rounding the corder from Via Lucci/Napoli Piazza Garibaldi. A ticket would be a UnicoCampania Fascia 5 for €3.20 per person.

Ferry service from Napoli Molo Beverello to Amalfi will start up in mid-April and the ride costs €10 with the Metro del Mare company and they usually charge for each piece of luggage taken aboard:

http://www.metrodelmare.com/l-mm2_b.html

http://www.metrodelmare.com/l-mm3_b.html

The cheapest way to get to Napoli Capodichino Airport to either Piazza Garibaldi (3-5 minute walk to Napoli Centrale FS Train Station) or Piazza Municipio (across the busy street from Napoli Molo Beverello) would be to take the Alibus which stops on the cement island to the right as you exit Napoli Capodichino Airport. You pay the driver €3 when you board and the bus makes 2 stops as already mentioned:

http://www.unicocampania.it/ita/alibus.htm

Buona Fortuna...

NEWARK
Level Contributor
137 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP !! I need the cheapest / quickest transport from Naples

Just to add to these many fine suggestions......I have the same challenge this June and opted for the private driver from the airport directly to my Amalfi rental. It is costing 130 euros for my party of 6 (one-way) I'm using: johnnymaresca@libero.it

I can't vouch for how great he is because I haven't used him yet, but he responded quickly to my e-mails and I did seem him recommended somewhere. The bus/train transfers are all worth considering, but consider the mental state you'll be in when coming to Italy on a 8+ hour flight and in a different time zone. (think about the time of day you'll be arriving, both your time and the new Italy time) Are you going to want to get on and off of trains and buses with your luggage during those first few hours in the country?

I'm going to try the bus/train thing for my return to northern Italy for my second week in Italy, when I'm better rested, and have my bearings.

I hope you find a good solution that works for you, you've already gotten some great advice on the previous postings.

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP !! I need the cheapest / quickest transport from Naples

Contact Salvatore Lucibello of DriveAmalfi who lives in Amalfi and can be contacted at info@driveamalfi.com

New Market, Maryland
Level Contributor
653 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP !! I need the cheapest / quickest transport from Naples

OMG - You guys are great ! I have never gotten such a great response to a post. I really appreciate all of your help ! I contacted driveamalfi.com and was quoted 110 Euros . I think we may shell out the money for the way to the hotel and then take one of your suggestions for a more economical way back .

Thanks again !

Kelly

New Market, Maryland
Level Contributor
653 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP !! I need the cheapest / quickest transport from Naples

jjkdc - Please keep in touch and let me know how your trip goes. We're traveling out of Dulles ourselves and will be curious about your travels.

-Kelly

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP !! I need the cheapest / quickest transport from Naples

I contacted them today as well, and got the same price: 110 euros. I'll need a driver to get me from Amalfi to the airport in time for a noon flight.

Kelly, where are you staying in Amalfi? I chose the Residenza del Duca. I'm not looking forward to its 70 steps up to the door, but I sure look forward to my huge private terrace!!

10. Re: HELP !! I need the cheapest / quickest transport from Naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 09:20