We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you need information about the Amalfi Coast?

J30
Europe
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Do you need information about the Amalfi Coast?

If you need information about the Amalfi coast, please write me as I am from there, I will be very happy to help you!

J30

31. Re: Do you need information about the Amalfi Coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2005, 17:15
DONCASTER
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: Do you need information about the Amalfi Coast?

No, sorry, this is a villa in airola, near to benevento. thanks anyway.

do you have any other information on the area ?

33. Re: Do you need information about the Amalfi Coast?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2005, 17:14
charleston,sc
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Do you need information about the Amalfi Coast?

My husband and I will be in Italy in September and will spend one week in Tuscany. AFter we check out of our villa on the 17th we fly from Rome on the 21st. I would like to come to the Amalfi Coast and wonder the best way to travel there. How many of those four days would you allow for the Amalfi Coast and where would you recommend staying? Also, what sites would you recommend seeing?

Thanks for your kind offer to advise us.

Pambo

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Do you need information about the Amalfi Coast?

O.k. everyone ! There seems to be a real chaos of stuff on this particular posting ! Are you getting confused ?

For trips to Herculaneum (Ercolano) and Pompei from Naples and Sorrento - public transport is easy. The Circumvesuviana railway stops at all the stations in Sorrento (Piano, Meta, Sant'Agnello) and will take you to Pompei (station called Pompei Scavi) and Herculaneum (Ercolano)

The stations are very close to the 'ruins' and public transport is cheap, and easy. From Naples, you go to the Napoli Centrale Station in Piazza Garibaldi, and the Circumvesuviana railway leaves from the platforms on the lower level. The website for the time-tables: www.vesuviana.it/faqen.htm

From Naples you can catch a SITA public bus from the centre of the city to Sorrento, Pompei, and Amalfi . For Ravello you change buses in Amalfi. For Poistano you change buses in Sorrento, unless you catch one of the two morning buses from Naples, direct. The Sita bus time-tables can be found on their website: www.sita-on-line.it/CampaniaTPL.html

Ferries and hydrofoils to the islands (Capri, Ischia, Procida, and the islands off Sicily) go from Naples port, Molo Beverello (right in the centre of town near the Castel Nuovo/Maschio Angioino in Piazza Municipio). If you're coming into Naples on a cruise ship, this is where you'll land too.

Again, public ferry/hydrofoil websites: www.navlib.it

www.snav.it/eng

www.alilauro.it

www.aliscafi.it

www.storia.uninait/icsea/traghetti.htm

The local expert for Naples is Mozzarella Girl, who actually lives in the area and is very good on up to date information and local knowledge. Forgive me for putting my oar in, but I can see this getting totally out of hand !

Best wishes to everyone ! Nolana

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Do you need information about the Amalfi Coast?

Pambo !!! Hello ! I missed out the bit about getting from Rome to Naples...

The train from Rome comes into Napoli Centrale railway station - the same place as the Circumvesuviana railway, but you catch the Circumvesuviana train from a platform on the lower level of the station. The rest of the information for getting to the Amalfi coast is on my previous posting.

There is supposed to be a public bus from Rome Tiburtina station, to Sorrento, run by the Marozzi bus company - I don't know what it's like personally, but the comments on Tripadvisor have not been very complimentary - do a search with the name of the bus company on the Naples forum and on the Rome forum, and read the comments, to make up your own mind.

For details of places to visit - go to the Sorrento and Naples or Campania tourist board websites - do a web search on google.

This is also where to look for reputable taxi companies, car hire and hotels.

Places to visit are numerous : Amalfi (Beautiful cathedral and cloister ), Positano (famous, small, exclusive), any number of the little villages along the coast, Ravello (small town suspended between sea and sky - divine), Sorrento - of course, Pompei, Herculaneum(Ercolano), or go in the other direction to Caserta (Royal Palace and park with many cascading fountains), Pozzuoli and the Solfatara(volcano at sea level, with boiling mud, fumaroles etc.), Cuma (the Sibyl's cave) the lakes (including Lake Averno - legendary gateway to hades), the islands of Ischia, Capri, Procida .... Naples itself, of course...and don't miss the chapel of Sansevero to see the beautiful sculptures such as the veiled Christ.

Go to the Naples Forum and do a search for words like Spaccanapoli, duomo, Castel Sant'Elmo, San Martino, - and you should come up with lots of previous postings to which Mozzarella Girl or Nolana have replied - in full. There's so much to see and so little time - you'll have to come again ! Have a good time choosing ! Best wishes, Nolana

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Do you need information about the Amalfi Coast?

MikeBR, hello,

Information on the Royal Palace of Caserta and the small town of Caserta Vecchia (there's an old town as well as the modern town).

The Royal Palace of Caserta (where the end of WWII treaty was signed) is beautiful, modelled on Versailles - (but I liked Caserta better than Versailles !) with items from Pompei/Herculaneum, art, sculpture, and a huge Christmas crib that fills a large room - all Capodimonte china figures, not just the Holy Family, but all sorts of little people / houses / animals / down to little old men eating plates of spaghetti.

Its main attraction for me was the park - with a magnificent cascade of several fountains, all decorated with sculptures of mythical deities and creatures, culminating in the final waterfall reaching almost 80m (260ft )with the group of statues depicting Actaeon being turned into a stag for watching Diana take a bath. The water was brought by an 18th century, 2km (1mile) viaduct from Ponti della Valle. You used to be able to ride a horse and carriage / little bus up to the top of the hill in the park, and walk back down to the palace. I don't know if this service is still available.

For photographs or the Reggia di Caserta royal palace and for Caserta Vecchia old city - go to the website www.caserta.nu This town is a little way from Naples and you need to catch a bus or a train see www.vesuviana.it for timetables.

The CTP (public transport) company bus from Piazza Garibaldi in Naples (by the railway station) goes approximately every half hour to Caserta Check with website: www.ctpn.it/ when the form comes up, put in the date of travel and choose 'CIR-Caserta Napoli' from the drop-down menu for the time-table.

There is also the old town of Caserta Vecchia to visit. You'll find details of these places on the Campania/ Campania Felix tourism sites on the internet. Do a search.

You will love the park of the Reggia. Best wishes, Nolana

DONCASTER
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
38. Re: Do you need information about the Amalfi Coast?

Sorry to be a pain, but, i need info. on airola( (especially ), and the benevento areas !

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Do you need information about the Amalfi Coast?

ity30 I've posted you loads of information on Airola on your own request posting on Airola.... have you seen it ?

40. Re: Do you need information about the Amalfi Coast?

Removed on: 15 June 2005, 17:13