We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Tuscany to Amalfi Coast

Sydney
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Tuscany to Amalfi Coast

Hi all

Wondering if someone can advise whether getting a train from somewhere like Siena to Naples is the best way to go. There seems to be numerous train changes along the way. Am tossing up whether to get the train, or to drive. Have heard the roads on the Amalfi Coast are pretty hairy!!

I am having a few days in Cinque Terre, heading to Tuscany (not sure where to go yet) but having 4 days there and then making my way down to the Amalfi Coast for about 7 days. Any suggestions on how to break up this journey would be great as a 6 hour train trip although do-able is pretty long. I've been to Rome before so no need really to go back.

I'm planning on going to Positano, Sorrento, Amalfi, day trip to Capri and having a night in Ravello. Would also love to see Pompeii again.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Tuscany to Amalfi Coast

We drove from the Tuscany area (Perugia) to the Amalfi Coast a few years ago. I think the drive was about 3 hours to Naples area. The highways are fine and fast and we had no problem until we left the highwat near Naples. We drove to Sorrento (On a Sunday morning in August!!!) and would not do it again especially during the summer.

One suggestion - drive to Naples airport to leave the car and take the bus to Sorrento (Curreri Viaggi line is at the airport) and use ferry/buses/trains from there.

jhgrady

Sydney
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Tuscany to Amalfi Coast

That's a great idea!! Thank you very much for your suggestion :)

3. Re: Best way to get from Tuscany to Amalfi Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about Amalfi Coast