We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights of romance - Positano, Sorrento or Capri

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights of romance - Positano, Sorrento or Capri

My husband and I - NO KIDS will be spending 3 nights on the coast (after spending 2 nights in Venice). Since this is a much needed vacation without our kids, we are looking for romance, great dinners, some sightseeing (although we don't want to wear ourselves out), beautiful scenery and the wonderful italian culture. I have heard Positano and Capri are very romantic, Sorrento is nice and easy to access other places.

Can anyone help eliminate my confusion of where to stay? As well suggestions on romantic hotels in the 300 Euro price range?

If we don't stay in Sorrento which may mean we don't get to sightsee too much, will we missing out on a lot of great things?

Any help that you can give to make this the perfect second honeymoon would be appreciated. Thanks in advance to everyone who replies.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights of romance - Positano, Sorrento or Capri

To tell you the truth, I had the same perception about the place (ie. Capri, Positano etc..) before visiting it.

Having spent a few days in Capri, and visiting Positano and Ischia I would not describe this portion of the trip as glorious... they are worth seeing but would no be on my "want to go back" list .... I would personally rather go the Italian Riviera if it is time by the sea you are after... again, personal views differ.

J30
Europe
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights of romance - Positano, Sorrento or Capri

I suggest you to stay in Positano at Villa La Tartana a small B&B down the beach, it has wonderful rooms with private terrace overlooking the sea.

Also the owner have a beautiful restaurant called Caffè Positano where you can have a romantic dinner, maybe on one of the 2 small balconies ....................

italy
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights of romance - Positano, Sorrento or Capri

If you like the countryside I suggest you the hotel Delfino, 8 km from the sentre of Sorento, they have private bus take you to Sorrento centre,vey nice hotel very romantic with wonderful panorama of Capri.

If you can try to rent a car and use the first day before to come to the hotel for to visit Pompei, you will find it on the way between Naples and Sorrento.

atlanta
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights of romance - Positano, Sorrento or Capri

Another suggestion is the Hotel Luna Convento in Almalfi. It is quite beautiful, formerly a convent, once occupied by St. Francis. The Magnificent pool is carved into the cliff over the sea. We found the area beautiful and romantic. The pool and restuarant are both great. Be mindful, the hotel has two standards for their hotel rooms. The "standard" or should I say "sub-standard" room is small, and very worn, yet still very pricey.

Their more expensive rooms are "simple elegance" with amazing views. It is a must to stay in one of these rooms.

I would suggest taking the ferry to Almalfi, unless you enjoy thrill riding. The local bus will carry you from Naples to Amalfi, but the ride is hair raising. You will find the ferry very peaceful with amazing scenery.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights of romance - Positano, Sorrento or Capri

I'd have to agree with ms-awda. My husband and I honeymooned at the Hotel Luna in Amalfi in June 2005 and were not disappointed! It was our favorite hotel of any city we visited, and our only regret was not having stayed longer. We stayed in the "standard" room, and were quite happy with it. The Amalfi Coast is quite pricey, particularly during the summer, so I think this would be a good fit for the 300 Euro range. Capri is very expensive, and I would consider doing it as a day trip which is very easy to do. I cannot speak to other A.C. towns, as we stayed in Amalfi, but our other contenders were Positano and Ravello. We were married in Rome, and our decisions were made based on the recommendations of our Italian wedding coordinator who felt Amalfi would be a great launching pad and she always stays at the Hotel Luna when on the A.C. From your room, you have an unobstructed to-die-for view of the Mediterranean that you will never forget! They have an outdoor terrace restaurant for breakfast or dinner--the food is excellent--and a pool overlooking the sea. I think this would be exceptional for a second honeymoon given your budget!

As for Sorrento, we visited though didn't stay here. But I think the views and scenery can't compare to the other A.C. towns. You said you are worried about "missing out on a lot of great things" if you stay somewhere other than Sorrento--by this I'm assuming you believe the other A.C. towns towns to be remote or isolated. To the contrary, after staying in Amalfi, we found it to be a great launching central launching pad for seeing other A.C. towns/sights. Again, I must concur with ms-awda--TAKE THE FERRY! (We initially took the SITA bus from Naples to Amalfi--this is NOT for the faint of heart! I'm glad I experienced it once, but never again! It can be frightening and certainly takes longer than the ferry.) The ferries are cheap, fast, and very convenient. If you plan to visit other towns on the A.C., I think this makes a more compelling case for using Amalfi as a home base as it is very close to the ferry station. You may want to doublecheck Positano and Ravello--but I think they are perched much higher making it more of a trek to catch a ferry.

If you are there in the summer, try to catch an outdoor concert at the Villa Rufolo. (Tickets are reasonable--around 20 Euros.) We didn't get the chance, but I've seen pictures and it's a sight to behold, with the concert in the gardens of the historic Villa Rufolo. When you face the orchestra, you view a backdrop of the sky and sea! This is definitely on our "to do" list when we return to the A.C.!

One last thought...we also took the journey from Venice to the A.C. It is very long and you'll have to change lines a couple of times. Just be sure to do your research on transportation on this leg before you make the trip and be prepared for a long day of travel. But in the end, well worth it! Good luck on a perfect second honeymoon!