We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi or Positano

Utah, USA
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Amalfi or Positano

We're planning on staying on the coast for 3 days in mid-May. I'm wondering whether to stay in Positano or Amalfi. Pros and Cons to each?

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi or Positano

I would use the search as this has been asked many times over the years.....me I couldnt choose but Positano is more central

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi or Positano

Positano is to die for!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi or Positano

Positano is very crowded and busy and has turned in the penultimate tourist trap in my opinion.

Amalfi is nice but is at the southern end of the AC and to get to other places such as Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri, it's a longer trip either by boat or bus.

You might consider Praiano which is between Positano and Amalfi. It's quiet. less expensive, has the same great views, and has great hotels and restaurants. Accessibility to other towns is easy by bus or boat.

italybound@verizon.net

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi or Positano

kwily,

In August this year we stayed 2 nights in Positano and 5 nights in Amalfi town. We liked both places, but they are slightly different. See my replies in this previous post: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187779-i161-k3128…

Pippi

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,052 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amalfi or Positano

To stay Amalfi every time, Positano is lovely, has to be visited, but vertical hard to get around and swarming in tourist shops,

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Amalfi or Positano

Pippi2 has posted the link to an excellent earlier thread that compares the two, and that thread also includes other links.

Amalfi is a larger town, and the beach isn’t as nice, but Amalfi is convenient for transportation connections, including the bus to gorgeous Ravello. Amalfi attracts tour buses since it has space for parking the buses, and the “feel” is very different than charming Positano.

Amalfi and Positano are both very touristy - Praino and Ravello are really charming, but Ravello is high above the coast.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Amalfi or Positano

Amalfi’s distance does have an advantage over Positano – The buses are less crowded. By the time the buses towards Sorrento arrive in Positano, they could be filled.

Vagabonda

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amalfi or Positano

I guess it comes down to personal preference, but to me Positano was spectacular and more sophisticated, but completely overrun by tourists. Amalfi, while still touristy, was a little more manageable. Both are beautiful. We stayed in Praiano, right in the middle of the two, and visited both by Sita bus from time to time - a very hair-raising trip, but hugely enjoyable once you get over the knuckle whitening terror. The little orange local buses are also a fabulous way to get around. One thing to keep in mind is that Positano is vertical, so lots of uphill and downhill walking; Amalfi is a bit flatter.

London, England
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amalfi or Positano

And don't forget to take the bus up to Ravello from Amalfi for the view from the terrace of the Villa Cimbrone.

10. Re: Amalfi or Positano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2010, 05:20