We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 nights in Amalfi - flying in and out Naples - ideas?

Sydney
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
12 nights in Amalfi - flying in and out Naples - ideas?

Hi,

Hoping for some suggestions. My fiancee and I have 12 nights to fill on the Amalfi Coast. Looking at staying in Sorrento, Positano and Amalfi and probably one night in Naples as we have an early flight to leave. Is this too much time in the towns? are they all very close and similar?

Are there any other places we should sstay while we're in the area.

We want really good quality 4/5 star, looking at places that are about $200 - $250 AUD a night (on last minute deals etc;) or anywhere that will be special

Some ideas please

Thank you

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 nights in Amalfi - flying in and out Naples - ideas?

There's never too much time on the Amalfi Coast in my opinion - but that's just me.

I wouldn't stay in so many places - each time you have to pack, check out and in the hotels, etc. Everything is pretty close to one another so I'd pick one village on the Amalfi coast and use that has your home base to go to the Amalfi villages.

I personally don't care for Sorrento but that's personal choice - but from there you could go to Pompeii and spend a day (if not more) on Capri.

You don't say what time of year you are going but if you are going in high season, your budget is low.

You can search this site for hotels (see link on this page) and see what looks interesting. The prices for the different seasons varies significantly.

You can easily get around the entire area by bus or boat. And, of course, there is just simply relaxing and doing nothing but enjoying the area and the views, food, etc.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 nights in Amalfi - flying in and out Naples - ideas?

Your budget is very low for a four or five-star, particularly in Positano. The five-stars in Positano go for 700 Euro a night and up. Besides, some are already fully booked for your dates.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,221 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 nights in Amalfi - flying in and out Naples - ideas?

As already mentioned, E175 a night is not 4-5 star accommodation on the Amalfi coast. In my opinion you are better to search for one or two places on the coast and settle in, rather than go from A-B-C-D. There are buses and boats you can take to get to other places and it is more romantic to settle somewhere with a gorgeous view and then venture out. Last minute places at high season are most unlikely. Be prepared for a few long sessions at the computer to choose somewhere that meets your needs and be aware that prices are high compared with Australia (and low compared with Dubai which I regard as the most overpriced stay of all).

Sydney
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 nights in Amalfi - flying in and out Naples - ideas?

Thanks for the advice, we've booked a 4.5 star nice looking place in Sorrento for 5 nights, end of May, now we have 5 or 6 nights to fill. Is Sorrento much cheaper than Positano?

I think Positano is our ideal destination, can anyone recommend nice hotels close to restaurants/beach etc; we really want to be walking distance from everything. from there I can see if we can make the prices work

Thanks

Texas
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 nights in Amalfi - flying in and out Naples - ideas?

I think you can find nice hotels in Positano but not 4 or 5 stars for your budget - but still very nice plays to stay!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 nights in Amalfi - flying in and out Naples - ideas?

Positano is *much* more expensive than Sorrento. Try to use www.venere.com to book, although some hotels might not be listed. Hotel Pasitea and Albergo California might be in your price range. Or look in Praiano, connected to Positano by local bus and considerably less expensive.

I don't know how large you think these places are. Everything is within walking distance, although it involves climbing stairs for the most part.

7. Re: 12 nights in Amalfi - flying in and out Naples - ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2010, 04:18