We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon: Rome / Amalfi Coast / Naples

York
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon: Rome / Amalfi Coast / Naples

Hello

My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon to Italy.

We get married on 2 April

We have booked a flight to Rome on 4 April

We have booked a flight home from Naples on 25 April

We have nothing else planned yet - and would love to hear your ideas!

We are thinking about staying in Rome for 3 - 4 night to begin with, then head south. We don't know very much about the region (we have been to Rome before but nowhere else in Italy), we would like to spend time on the Amalfi Coast, we would like to visit Capri, Positano, possibly Sorrento - people tell us these places are nice? We would like a really mixed trip - fishing villages, inland countryside (agritourism?) and cities. We would like to self cater for part of the trip - we will need laundry facilities a few times.

Our budget for the trip is a maximum of roughly 200 Euros per night.

We would like advice on where to stay in Rome (a nice, central self catering apartment maybe?), where to visit on the Amalfi Coast, where to stay inland, how best to travel between places, where to stay in Naples (a nice hotel to finish with?). We want this to be a trip of a lifetime so would love to hear the ideas that the above bring to mind!

Thank you

Dave and Rachel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,604 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon: Rome / Amalfi Coast / Naples

If you haven yet, you should get a good guidebook and start there - it will help you figure out where and want you want to see and then you can figure out how long to spend in each place.

Everyone has their own personal preferences for villages on the Amalfi Coast - you should look at photos of each and read up on them and decide which seems most appealing to you.

I would suggest that if you go to Capri, don't go for just one day - stay a few days and get a real feel of the island away from all the tourists - there is much to explore there - check this site for some ideas:

www.capri.net

For hotels, you can start by looking at Venere.com where you can sort by budget and then come back to Tripadvisor and read reviews about ones that look interesting to you.

The forums are a great supplement but I think your best first source for building your itinerary is a guidebook - and a map of Italy.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon: Rome / Amalfi Coast / Naples

fodors.com also has good itinerary suggestions

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,849 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon: Rome / Amalfi Coast / Naples

I would consider extending your time in Rome to at least five days.

Go down the coast to Sorrento, and you can conveniently explore Pompeii, Ercolano and Capri from there.

Move further down to Positano, and explore the Amalfi Coast from there.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon: Rome / Amalfi Coast / Naples

Hi there. In July, my husband and I stayed at the Hotel Minerva-Sorrento and it was just magic - very romantic. I agree with momcat on the guidebook and more time spent on Capri. That said, if time is an issue, we hired a little boat on arriving on Capri and spent a beautiful couple of hours cruising around the island by ourselves which was just lovely. If I had my time again I would have spent less time in Rome (please don't crucify me other posters - I don't hate Rome!), only because I would have liked more time to see the Amalfi Coast and have had been able to stay there too. What a lovely honeymoon you will have.

York
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon: Rome / Amalfi Coast / Naples

Thank you all for your responses.

Just a little more background: We already have a small collection of guide books - I was hoping to glean some inside information from people who have been to the area. I'm minded to agree with Merran97 on the Rome point - we LOVE Rome, but we have been before, so not really interested in extending our time there. Time isn't an issue for us as we are going for three weeks. Additionally, I dropped out of an academic history career from boredom - as ignorant as this may sound, I have no interest in spending my honeymoon in Pompeii.

We want to experience Italian life - primarily its food and its places. We would really appreciate advice on the following:-

1. How would you recommend we travel between Rome, the Amalfi coast villages and Naples?

2. Merran97 - I would particularly love to hear more about your recent holiday. Where did you visit? Where did you stay? How long for?

3. Has anyone ever experience "agritourism" in Italy?

4. Can anyone recomend any inland villages / small towns to visit or stay in in the area?

5. Can anyone recomend any places to stay half way (roughly) between Rome and the Amalfi coast area?

6. Can anyone recomend a nice apartment to stay in in Rome?

7. Can anyone recomend a nice hotel to end our honeymoon in Naples?

Also, anything anyone would like to add in relation to our original post would be brilliant.

Thank you all

Dave and Rachel

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon: Rome / Amalfi Coast / Naples

Hi there Dave and Rachel

I probably do not have as much experience as others on this forum but I am happy to share the experience we enjoyed - it was our first trip to Italy. We flew to Naples via Gatwick. My husband is the adventurous type and we had booked a car. We drove to Sorrento which didn't take very long - once we'd got used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road it was really terrific looking at new scenery and sites. The drive was quite simple. I had booked the Hotel Sorrento (parking available) with a seaview room (I've posted a review) and it was just lovely - it wasn't our honeymoon but it could well have been. Pompeii is quite interesting and Herculaneum is another dig one train stop on from there. If you want to, you can do a Mt Versuvius/Pompeii tour which I will do next time - time being our enemy. As I said before Capri was great and the little boat fantastic. The man we hired from gave us a map of the island and I swam through the Green Grotto, my husband moored we swam some more, relaxed etc. We packed snacks and drinks - again a post honeymoon experience! As I said, we didn't have enough time in that beautiful part of Italy. There is also a boat tour which will take you down the Amalfi Coast from Sorrento - my sister-in-law has done that and she said it was beautiful - they give you time to look around etc. That was our time in Sorrento and it was just great. We then drove to Rome - and survived (think Griswalds European Vacation movie)! That was also fun but that's another forum altogether. Again, have a great honeymoon - we can't wait to get back!

Merran

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon: Rome / Amalfi Coast / Naples

Sorry,

Typo: Hotel Minerva - Sorrento. Just beautiful.

8. Re: Honeymoon: Rome / Amalfi Coast / Naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2011, 05:16