We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ravello or Praiano for September vacation

NJ
Level Contributor
91 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Ravello or Praiano for September vacation

We are starting to plan a trip for the fall of 2011; have looked at Hotel Graal in Ravella and Hotel Margherita in Praiano.

Cannot decide between the two towns, nor between the two hotels. Any info and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ravello or Praiano for September vacation

How long are you planning to stay? and Is there any particular reason to stay in Ravello or Praiano ?

because R. (pop. 2500?) is in the mountains, East from Amalfi;

and Praiano (pop. 1900) at the sea shore, West from Amalfi (pop 5,000?) and East from Positano (pop.3500);

this last two are the largest villages of the area; if you have several days , you may want to visit all of them, including Sorrento, (which is not part of the Am. Coast, but in the other side of the peninsula), but is more of a town, ( and closer to Capri), probably would be better to stay in Positano as a base.

TxN

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ravello or Praiano for September vacation

Ravello is the one Amalfi Coast village that is high above sea and coast road; Praiano, like the other villages are close to the sea. It just depends on whether you want to be able to easily access the sea, beach and boats or not.

The views in Ravello are spectacular - I visit for the day when I go to Positano because I like to be by the water to jump on boats, jump in the water and also because I love nighttime on the beach.

So, I suggest looking at photographs of each place and read more about each. There is a forum on here for both places - I suggest spending sometime reading threads on those forums; you will learn a lot about each village.

Any reason you have chosen these two particular villages vs the others on the Amalfi Coast?

NJ
Level Contributor
91 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ravello or Praiano for September vacation

An acquaintance, who goes to Italy often, said that the Hotel Graal in Ravello is the only place to go. The question is, once we are there, is the rest of the Amalfi area easily accessed. As they have been there frequently, they might just kick back and relax in and around the hotel; this is our first time in the area and we will be acting like tourists...we will have a car, but will probably need to use public transportation. Is that easily available in Ravello (I know it is in Praiano), and are there restaurants and/or shopping nearby the hotel (just small shops for cheeses and wine, not trinkets)?

We're really trying to figure out which area (high or by the sea) would be the easiest for us.

Thanks for your info.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ravello or Praiano for September vacation

It's all just personal choice. When I go - which is usually once a year - I like to stay in Positano because I like the easy links to the boats to Capri, other parts of the Amalfi Coast, the two beaches, etc.

Ravello is very smalll as is Praiano and for me, since I usually stay at least 6 days, I prefer being in one of the two larger villages; the other "large" village is Amalfi of which I'm not all that fond.

"Large" is relative in this case - the villages are all small but Ravello and Praiano are very small - the Wikipedia info does give a good idea about how different in population size.

Everyone who enjoys the Amalfi Coast regularly has their favorite "place to be" spot - it is different for everyone. Some people don't like Positano as they think it is too crowded and prefer the small, intimate Praiano.

Again - Ravello is lovely but you have to take some type of transportation, private or public, to get to the sea which you don't have to do when staying in one of the other villages.

That, I think is your biggest choice to make. All of the villages are beautiful and you will, of course, be able to sample them as much as you want - but, for me, walking out early a.m. and going to sit right by the water is the reason I go to the AC.

Here's a link (not my website) that has some good representative photos of Positano just so you get an idea - I don't have any other such sites for the other villages but I'm sure you could find them by googling. You can click on the first photo and it will enlarge and from there you can view them all.

http://www.naviquan.com/page/positano

Edited: 14 December 2010, 23:32
UK
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ravello or Praiano for September vacation

Ravello has an actual town centre ie central piazza with cafes and restos which Praiano, being spread out along the coast road, does not.

Why not use Google Streetview and have a "walk" around both?

Edited: 15 December 2010, 01:02
NJ
Level Contributor
91 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ravello or Praiano for September vacation

The pictures are beautiful, and I thank you for the link. Lots of up-and-down hills with lots of steps, I noticed...guess that's what you have when towns accommodate the hills, rather than the other way around. I'm going to snoop around and try to find more pictures of Ravello; mostly what I have is of the hotels, and they don't show the town at all.

As I said, we're hoping to use it (or Praiano) as our home base; the question is whether Ravello is too out of the way to be practical.

Again, thanks .

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
229 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ravello or Praiano for September vacation

Having been to both places, I can honestly say that where to stay is a matter of personal preference. Both are beautiful, picturesque small towns. Praiano is near the sea and so has easy access to the water. Every town on the coast is touristy any more, but Praiano is less so than some of the larger towns. Ravello is perched high above the coast and has amazing panoramic views, beautiful gardens and historic villas. Although I've had great experiences in several of the towns on the Amalfi Coast, Ravello is hands-down my favorite. But each person who travels there will have their own best-loved place!

Others may disagree with me, but we've never found Ravello to be too out of the way, especially with a car. The distances between towns aren't great, and since you'll be there in the fall you should have less traffic to contend with than you would during the height of the summer season. Again this is purely personal preference, but for us using a car when in Ravello (and anywhere along the Amalfi Coast for that matter) is much more convenient, enjoyable and easier than using public transportation. If you do prefer to use public transportation rather than drive, though, that might be a bit easier in Praiano.

The area is amazing. You're going to have a great time no matter where you decide to stay!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ravello or Praiano for September vacation

There are some wonderful photos of all the Amalfi Coast in towns in the book "My Amalfi Coast" by the Australian Amanda Tabberer. She married a man from Positano and lived there for 18 years. It was published 2 years ago: I noticed it is available through Book Depository. I have a copy: the photos are beautiful.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ravello or Praiano for September vacation

It really depends on what you plan to do in your vacation and whether you are using a private vehicle (not recommended in peak times unless you are a calm, competent and patient driver - the traffic on tight roads is a nightmare and parking can be difficult) or public transport. As opposed to another poster, I prefer Amalfi - on the coast so ready access to ferries (when they are running) and buses to most other tourist desinations in the area. The ferries when running (it doesn't take much of a choppy sea for services to be cancelled) are the best way to get around the coast as the buses, while cheap, are crowded and can be very hot in summer or on the edges of summer. Amalfi also has a non-tourist existence with fresh food shops and the like patronised by locals as opposed to Positano, which is also on the coast but is relatively small and is tourist central. Ravello is quite small, is on cliff tops and reached by a 5km winding road from near Amalfi so no ferries but as modemUK has posted, has a town centre (with a few restaurants, bars and shops selling ceramics). As a negative, it is also not on the way to any other tourist town so recommended only if you want to stay in a good hotel (which the Graal appears to be) and chillout or if you are prepared to rent a vehicle. That said, even if you don't stay in Ravello, the Villa Cimbrone (with its gardens and amazing cliff top view) is worth a day trip to visit. I haven't been to Praiano, which is notionally on the sea, but is on cliff tops so there is no easy access to ferries.

10. Re: Ravello or Praiano for September vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2012, 06:16