We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we do Paris and enjoy the Amalfi Coast on a 10 day trip?

Chicago
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Can we do Paris and enjoy the Amalfi Coast on a 10 day trip?

Hi, We will have 10 days ( coming from Chicago) and wonder if we can enjoy a few days in Paris and maybe a daytrip to Giverney and then take a bus or train (any high speed ones?) to the Amalfi Coast for the rest of the time and fly back from Naples or Rome. We are a young 60ish couple and very active - enjoy biking, hiking and just hanging out. We love nature and exploring cities. We have been to Paris before, but never to the Amalfi Coast. Is this too much for 10 days?

Thanks!

Dorothy

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we do Paris and enjoy the Amalfi Coast on a 10 day trip?

;Do one or the other.... drop France this time round.... spend the full ten days in Italy - visit the Campania region and the bay of Naples properly - even Naples, itself.... then there's : Amalfi, Ravello, Positano, Capri, Ischia, Pozzuoli and the Solfatara, Caserta (royal palace and beautiful gardens with one and a half miles (I think) of fountains and statues....the royal palace in Naples, the San Carlo Opera House and the San Carlo Galleria (rivals the one in Milan) then there's the cathedral in Naples, the old quarter, the various churches and art galleries, not to mention the museums and the street of shops selling Christmas cribs....go up Vesuvius, see Pompei and Herculaneum, Paestum and the Greek temples etc. .... if you split your time between two countries, you'll be travelling all over the place, and in and out of hotels, packing and unpacking..... not worth it !

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we do Paris and enjoy the Amalfi Coast on a 10 day trip?

oh... and I forgot Sorrento, and there''s the beaches, and the hot springs on Ischia.... and the food, the wonderful food in the Campania region... and you can ride the railway or the buses.... and then there's the National Park of Cilento...and the pastries and the homemade ice-creams.... and the beautiful sea that's all those beautiful colours of blue and turquoise and acquamarine and green .... hop on a train / bus to Palinuro or Agropoli, or ..... and then there's the fruit, and the lemons, the huge Amalfi lemons, and the fresh figs, and the shellfish and the food... wonderful food, and wonderful cooking.... and the real proper pizza in a woodburning oven with buffalo mozzarella... and you can see the buffalo in the Agropoli area, and the countryside and .... oh..... just go there !

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we do Paris and enjoy the Amalfi Coast on a 10 day trip?

An open jaw airticket will benefit your itinerary, into Paris and fly out of Rome.

www.parisinfo.com

Flights Paris to Naples www.easyjet.com

Airport bus transfer to Sorrento www.curreriviaggi.it

Sitabus connects the amalficoast towns from Sorrento to Salerno

sitabus.it/sitabus/…QUADROXV.pdf

Train from Sorrento to Pompeii Scavi and Naples www.vesuviana.it

Capri Ferry www.capri.net

Train Naples to Rome www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.amalficoastweb.com

www.romeinfo.com

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we do Paris and enjoy the Amalfi Coast on a 10 day trip?

Yes, you can do it especially if you can fly an inter-European airline like Easyjet. I've used Easyjet a number of times and its easy to book on their website.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we do Paris and enjoy the Amalfi Coast on a 10 day trip?

If you stay in and around Paris, you have a ten day trip; if you go from Paris to Amalfi, the amount of time spent traveling will shave a day off your schedule. That means 9 days instead of ten.

I agree, an open jawed flight would be best. If your tickets are already booked in and out of Paris, I think I would make plans to do Italy another time. :-(

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,306 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we do Paris and enjoy the Amalfi Coast on a 10 day trip?

I wouldn't but you could -- but if you do this fly from Paris to Naples or Rome -- be sure you are in Naples or Rome the night before the return flight

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we do Paris and enjoy the Amalfi Coast on a 10 day trip?

You can do this if you fly from Paris to Naples so you don't waste time on such a long train trip. It is definitely doable if that is what you wish to do.

I too have used EasyJet a few times and found them to be fine and extremely inexpensive.

Chicago
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can we do Paris and enjoy the Amalfi Coast on a 10 day trip?

Thanks, Nolana. Your excitement is contagious!

Chicago
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can we do Paris and enjoy the Amalfi Coast on a 10 day trip?

Thanks, Nurioopta for the great links and everyone else who responded. It is so helpful.

One more question: We have never taken an inter-European flight and acquaintance who did recently, ended up paying a lot for their luggage - more than the cost of their flight - is this typical?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can we do Paris and enjoy the Amalfi Coast on a 10 day trip?

On the Easyjet website when you book, it details added cost for check in luggage, about 12 euro per item.

www.easyjet.com

NB: Legacy airlines are also now starting to charge extra for check in luggage, due to increased fuel costs.