We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Refugio or Rental

New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Refugio or Rental

Hello,

Trying to decide between the Refugio Degli Dei and a 1 bedroom (with sleeper sofa) apt rental in Praiano. There will be 4 adults and one 20 month old baby. We are on a budget. The rental is $400 less for the week. The Refugio seems like more of a better location though (despite all the stairs), above Positano, with farm animals, breakfast included, and maybe happier for the baby. Although, again the stairs may be a factor. But we live in NY, so used to subway stairs by myself with a baby.....I don't know. I wish my family would give me imput, but they are just like "whatever you like best we trust you". So, I am looking to my Tripadvisor advisors! Please help me make this decision. Thank you very much!

New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Refugio or Rental

I should add- this is a first trip to the Amalfi Coast.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Refugio or Rental

Four adults and a baby in a one bedroom apartment doesn't seem like a recipe for an enjoyable vacation for anyone! Above Positano is gorgeous and I would do that if you get more space for the same price.

But what is your budget? You may get some other possibilities besides these two if you are more specific about that.

Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Refugio or Rental

Can you include links so those of us familiar with the locations can give you some input?

Four adults in one bedroom sounds very difficult for one week. But, if it suits your budget I am sure you will find a way to make it work.

I live in NYC and I can tell you that the stair situation in Positano is nothing like the few stairs in the subways here - again, though, it depends on the location of the rental.

Positano is all stairs - hundreds of them and while I did recently see a number of people with babies in strollers, they were dealing with the issue of getting the stroller up and down the many steps into and out of the pedestrianized zone of the village. And, even though your rental may be up steps from the main road (or whichever road given the address), keep in mind, there will be a need to go up and down a lot of steps to get to the beach. Again, all doable, if you you are physically up to it.

If you don't want to give the actual links to the rentals, please provide the addresses at least - that will help.

New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Refugio or Rental

http://www.rifugiodeglidei.it/

apartment

www.soeasyhouse.com/pagina.php…

Okay, so forget the stroller in amalfi.....We'll take the backpack carrier.

My boy is pretty whispy.

Thank you!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Refugio or Rental

Having just quickly looked at the first place - high above Positano - I would say, give that a careful look over as to location. You are very high above the sea and road. Are you planning on having a car? If so, it may be suitable.

I glanced at the other for a moment but can't look more closely just now. I will do so later - and I am sure others will jump in with their suggestions as well.

If you are hoping to spend your days lazing about the beach and enjoying swimming in the sea and maybe taking some boat rides to various villages, etc - the Positano rental will be cumbersome.

Have you chosen just these two spots for a reason or are you still looking for other possibilities?

New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Refugio or Rental

I read that there was a bus Right in front of the Refugio, and a 15 min walk to Positano center. Also the Arienzo beach 400 steps below the location. So, that doesnt' seem too bad to me. But, others may know better. I like this option because it feels more like an agritouriso experience that would be charming.

The other apartment is just in our price bracket and seemed nice to me. I am not sure how Praiano is to get around in. I read the buses get kind of packed at this point since it is in between Amalfi and Positano.

I like these two rentals more than other options I have seen. Hotel and B&Bs are out of the question. We are traveling with my parents and they don't mind a sofa bed.

Thanks again!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Refugio or Rental

hmm...let's see: there are about 1,800 steps from the street to the 102nd floor of the Empire State Bldg - so, 400 steps would be somewhat less than 1/4 of that climb - just as an exaggerated example of the step issue.

I think it depends on how you wish to spend your time - if you want to spend most of it at the beach, then this may not be the best option.

The steps are intense - if you and your parents are very fit, then you could take that hike on. I would expect you would do it a few times a day. I was just there for 7 days and was out and about a number of times a day as it was warm and I like to return to my room a few times a day for a bit of a rest, a shower, etc.

Walking to the village - is downhill and, of course, then uphill. I am only emphasizing it as the entire place is vertical and with a baby who may need to come back to the room a few times a day to rest, take a nap, etc - it could be trying.

I suggest looking at a lot of photos of Positano - and looking closely at google maps so you can see how far down the beach is - from what I saw on the map, it is quite a hike.

Nothing I am saying is to discourage you - only to paint a picture of the landscape as you have not been there before. It is unique - which is what makes it so appealing to people but I have met many people over the years I have been going there that were very surprised at the difficulty of getting around and the completely vertical nature of the village and how much of the village is pedestrian only - all involving steps.

The main internal road inside Positano itself below the coastal road is Viale Pasitea - a one way road. Cars can take that road and there is a small bus that makes the loop all of which need to stop at the top of the pedestrianized part of the village from which you then must walk down to the beach/sea. Viale Pasitea is far below the area at which the rental you are considering is located.

I agree that it looks very charming -

Praiano is lovely - it is not a village like Positano but if you stay at the Positano rental you are considering, you won't be staying in Positano village either. Positano is more of a town/village than Praiano - more shops, restaurants, etc. Lots of people prefer Praiano and consider Positano having too much going on, attracting too many tourists. I usually go for a week and so I choose Positano (or Capri) - as I like the larger village - keeping in mind, of course, that none of the Amalfi Coast villages are large in any sense of the word; it is just that Positano and Amalfi are the two largest of the AC villages.

Here's a link that is basically just a photo a day of Positano - it is a blog (not mine) - and you can click on the different months to see the many photos the blogger has taken of Positano (though most are are in the actual village), you will get an idea of the town:

http://positanodailyphoto.blogspot.com/

8. Re: Refugio or Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2012, 06:18