We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples vs Sorrento vs Amalfi Coast

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Naples vs Sorrento vs Amalfi Coast

We are 3 adults in our 60's traveling to Southern Italy for two weeks in late September, 2012. We are spending one week in Rome, but wanted to spend the other week a bit south seeing the Amalfi Coast, Capri, perhaps Naples, and here lies the dilemma around that 2nd week: with only 7 days, should we split our time between basing in Naples and Sorrento (and tour the Amalfi coast by day-trip)? Should we drop Naples and split between Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast? What is the best advice? We are not renting a car; we are active walkers, not sit-on-the-beach folks.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,554 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples vs Sorrento vs Amalfi Coast

I depends on what you want to see. What do you want to see in Naples itself or on the Amalif coast?

Sorrento is a great base for visiting the Bay of Naples sights and taking day trips to the Amalfi coast cities and Capri. Sorrento is a clean resort like town wtih great transport options. It is between Naples and the Amalfi coast. Naples can be reached fron Sorrento an hour and ten min on the Circumvesuviana train or by hydrofoil.

Naples is further away from the Amalfi coast and kind of grungy, but it appeals to some. I would only base myself in Naples if there are sights you want to see in Naples itself.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,524 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples vs Sorrento vs Amalfi Coast

Stay in Sorrento from where you can visit the Amalfi coast, Capri and Pompeii Scavi

Train Naples to Sorrento and Pompeii Scavi www.vesuviana.it

Amalfi coast bus From Sorrento to Salerno and Amalfi to Ravello

sitabus.it/sitabus/…QUADROXV.pdf

Ferry www.coopsantandrea.com www.capri.net

Accommodation www,venere.com

www.visitsorrento.com

www.amalficoastweb.com

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples vs Sorrento vs Amalfi Coast

Sorrento's position makes it a good base for seeing Naples, Pompei etc - but I think you would all kick yourselves for not having a few days somewhere on the AC.... especially once you've seen what it like!

Whilst a great city in many ways, Naples isn't my idea of a vacation spot - but do go over for a day, or even two, as there's a stack of interesting places to visit.... much more than those who only ever do the standard dash to the Museum and back get to see!

There are some pictures from our visits "ashore" over the years here....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/mainlynaples

And do have a look at the very good, bimonthly bilingual magazine - 'Qui Napoli' - from the city's tourism people. I guess it's given away in hotels and at their "Infopoints", but in several years have yet to find one! Instead we use the PDF version, available from...

http://www.inaples.it/eng/quinapoli.htm

(Nov/Dec is the most recent, but with any luck they'll start again for Easter!)

For choosing your base (although it's well overdue for an update, so do crosscheck any times, prices etc - and ignore for now all references to the 'Metro del Mare'), there's a useful 'Travel Directory' to the various towns and villages along both the Sorrento Peninsula and Amalfi Coast that can be downloaded from the area's official tourism site, using...

costiera.it/images/pdf/TravelDirectory_En.pdf

You'll find they've included descriptions of some of the walks one can do, and.... well, look for yourselves!

In the wider area, you should be able to reach most of these sites and sights on daytrips - although some would be more of a schlep than others.....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/tele

Peter

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples vs Sorrento vs Amalfi Coast

Thanks each of you for very excellent responses with some great information! I REALLY appreciate it!

Joe B.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples vs Sorrento vs Amalfi Coast

Sorrento is a wonderful town. It was one of the highlights of our whole trip last month ( and my husbands favourite) and looking back I am still very glad we used it as a base to explore the region.

The Amalfi coast is just around the corner and you look back over Naples and Vesuvius. It is easy to walk around and there are some very good restaurants. In particulalar it has a wonderful village feel about it.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples vs Sorrento vs Amalfi Coast

But whilst it may have a village feel in January, during the months when most of Sorrento's half million annual visitors are there, things may perhaps be rather different?

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/130860382

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/130860385

This may give some idea of how relatively busy the hotels in various places might be, and of who's likely to be staying where..

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/133413978

Peter

New York
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples vs Sorrento vs Amalfi Coast

A day trip to AC is not the same as an overnight. I've been 3 times to the area and always stayed in Sorrento which I love, but it is quite different than the AC. Eveyrtime I did a daytrip to AC I kicked myself for not spending a couple nights there. I'm going again this year for 2 weeks and this trip spending nights in Capri, Sorrento & Positano.

8. Re: Naples vs Sorrento vs Amalfi Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 04:16