We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day hiking on the Amalfi Coast (guides)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day hiking on the Amalfi Coast (guides)

Hello

I am considering a trip to the Amalfi Coast this May. In addition to general sightseeing, I'd love to go on some hikes in the area. There must be some beautiful views to be had from the hiking trails!

Would you know of a guide/tour company who will meet travelers for a day hike?

Thank you

Beth

Tours of Amalfi Coast - Capri, Pompeii & More
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Taxis & Shuttles, Food Tours
L'Altra Costiera
Sightseeing Tours
Touring Amalfi Coast Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,401 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day hiking on the Amalfi Coast (guides)

There's no need for a guide, the Sunflower Guide for Walk of the Guides has a map and this thread gives you some add'l info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187779-i161-k5387…

If you do want a guide, you could email your hotel for recommendations or try the search bar above the posts. A couple of friends did the walk a few years ago, no problems doing it themselves.

Have a wonderful time in a beautiful part of Italy.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day hiking on the Amalfi Coast (guides)

Thanks!

I did do some searching here after I posted and found a few links to follow. Also the Sunflower book. I ordered one from Amazon. However, I am not sure it is "the" walking book but more of a guide book. I also found a book by Cicerone guides on Amazon.

It sounds pretty easy on my own. I have not decided where to base myself, I am probably going to be there 8 nights, maybe nine, and I will probably try for two in Naples which leaves 6-7 on the coast.

I am definitely visiting Capri, would an overnight stay absolutely be warranted or can I see a lot (including walking) in just a day trip?

Thanks.

ps. Should I definitely spend time in Naples, or would just an overnight be enough - the night before I fly home?

Edited: 10 February 2013, 15:12
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,401 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day hiking on the Amalfi Coast (guides)

You're going to have ample time to explore. Regarding Capri, I would definitely spend the night (or 2) because it changes atmosphere entirely (the daytrippers have left). It's a nice walk to Villa Jovis (Tiberius' infamous villa).

Do you plan on visiting Pompeii and/or Herculaneum? If so, the Archaeo Museum in Naples houses quite a bit of the artifacts found in the area and the wonderful Farnese Collection. Sept. 2011, I spent a wonderful week in Naples, there's sooo much to see, do and eat. I returned Sept. 2012 for an add'l 3 nights before my week on the beautiful isle of Ischia.

DK Eyewitmess has a great Naples and the Amalfi Coast, as does the Lonely Planet. The DK Eyewitness has more pictures, Lonely Planet more specific info and maps.

Go to the specific Forums, i.e. Naples, Capri and Positano and have a look at the Top Questions and Things to Do tabs.

If you are flying home from FCO, I'd spend my last night in Italy in Rome to avoid any complications on getting to the airport in time to make your flight. Its recommended you be at FCO 3 hours before your departure (and the time is needed).

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,690 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day hiking on the Amalfi Coast (guides)

Depends on what you want to see while in Naples as to whether one day would suffice.

I love Capri and I always suggest considering spending at the very least one night on the island - there is much to see and do and, personally, I prefer the hiking on the island vs on the Amalfi Coast, which is beautiful as well - it's just my personal preference. I've spent a week at a time on Capri and never ran out of things to explore and do: www.capri.net and similarly with some different info in different format: http://www.capritourism.com/en/home

This is nice (in a few languages in same piece, English included):

capritourism.com/imgg/…capri_turismo.pdf

Have fun planning!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day hiking on the Amalfi Coast (guides)

Having ordered from Amazon, you may well not be aware of the "Current Updates" offered for that 10th edition - over on Sunflower's own website:

sunflowerbooks.co.uk/product/…

As a general guidebook for our area, the Lonely Planet's latest edition - only published a couple of weeks ago - is the one I'm now recommending:

http://www.amazon.com/Naples-Pompeii-Amalfi-Coast-Regional/dp/1741799171/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360572003&sr=1-2&keywords=lonely+planet+naples+amalfi

Probably more easily found using:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/bsd2rvb

And for window-shopping just a few of the Campania region's many places of interest, perhaps try the collection of stuff I've put together here....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/tele

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day hiking on the Amalfi Coast (guides)

Thank you everyone, eagerly looking forward to my books.. once I read them, I will get others!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day hiking on the Amalfi Coast (guides)

ps. OK, if I have nine nights, how would this sound?

2 nights Naples when I land

2 nights Capri

3 nights Sorrento

1 night Positano

1 night Naples OR Rome before I go home (just to sleep, fly home from there)

I almost hate going to Rome, it's been 6 years now and an overnight would be such a tease because it would really mean little more than an afternoon there.

Alternatively, I could leave Naples late on the second full day just in time to get to my next stop to have dinner and sleep... then wake up in the new place and then resume the above itinerary.

Would leaving Sorrento to go to Positano for one night even make sense? Should I just pick one mainland town and stay there, visiting all other places by day trip?

Should I pick Positano over Sorrento then?

Thanks again...

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,538 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day hiking on the Amalfi Coast (guides)

That is alot of moving around for my taste, especially since everything is so close. Other than hiking, what are you interested in seeing?

I would pick Positano over Sorrento, if you want to see the Amalfi Coast (Sorrento is near but not on the Amalfi Coast). But I love Positano and spent a week there doing day trips to some of the other towns on the AC.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,690 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day hiking on the Amalfi Coast (guides)

I too wouldn't waste precious time checking in and out of lodging and moving about so much. I'd par it down- I'd choose no more than 3 spots. I don't care for Sorrento so I am a bad person to make any suggestions regarding it - what would you do there for three days; often (not always I am eager to add!) it is used as a base to visit the AC and Capri and/or Ischia.

It's not my trip - but, if it were: I'd divvy it up between Naples, Capri and Positano - but, then, I've been to all of them and already know my favorites.

Unless you have a really compelling reason to stay in Sorrento (and I'm sure I'm offending all Sorrento lovers as we speak but that is not my intention - just my own opinion) - I would leave from Naples to Capri and then take the ferry from there to Positano - spend 3 nights each in Capri and Positano (which is not really all that long) and the rest in Naples.

If the ferry straight from Capri to Positano is not yet running, take it to Sorrento - then take the SITA bus to Positano (or car service if that is in your budget and what you prefer).

However, you divide up your nights - I'd really not want more than 3 hotels/B&Bs to move to and from. When you arrive at new lodging, unless a room is ready, you can't get into it usually until 2 p.m. or 3 p.m. - so, you have to leave your bags, not being able to get situated until later. I like to cut that bit down to the fewest times possible.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day hiking on the Amalfi Coast (guides)

Thanks everyone! It sounds like I should maybe leave Naples for the very end, then.

So:

3 nights Capri when I land - immediately head there. Or if that is too much travel for one day, go to Positano first. I will be alone - is three nights too much for Capri? Should I make it two nights and 5 in Positano?

4 nights Positano

2 night Naples before I go home, which means heading to Naples Saturday morning, have the rest of the day Sat and all day Sunday for Naples, fly home Monday.

I definitely want to visit Pompeii. And hike. And museums. And good food. And swimming if it's late May. And photography. Maybe cooking classes?

Thank you again!

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy