We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

town to town or have a base on one?

Lima
Level Contributor
55 posts
301 reviews
Save Topic
town to town or have a base on one?

amazing amount of information over amalfi coast. Will spend 5 days at the beginning of april. My choices so far are Sorrento, Capri, Ravello, Positano and Amalfi, wish I can stay longer and go to all the towns there!

Would you recommend to stay in one place and took day trips or would be nicer to move along and get a flavor of each town? I've realized that hotels are very expensive though, so I need to take that into consideration as well. Any suggestions regarding the towns? if I have to choose only 4 of them, which one to skip?

Thanks!!

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: town to town or have a base on one?

With five days split your stay betwen two of them. If you start from Sorrento you can visit Capri as a day trip from there and also visit Pompeii by train. Then move along the Amalfi coast by bus to Amalfi and choose a second base.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: town to town or have a base on one?

I would pick one base and do day trips. With only 5 days, I wouldn't want to waste any time packing/unpacking and moving hotels. Capri, Amalfi and Ravello are easily reachable from Positano, which is my favorite place on the Amalfi Coast.

New York
Level Contributor
536 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: town to town or have a base on one?

1 base town...bus transportation along the coast very good

No need to be packing up & lugging bags to another town's hotel.

Check out hotel margherita in Priano

in between Positano, Amalfi & Sorrento...bus service down the hill to all.

Edited: 05 March 2013, 00:30
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
345 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: town to town or have a base on one?

Amalfi and Ravello can be done in the same day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: town to town or have a base on one?

I will recommend Atrani, 200 m from Amalfi, less costly alternative to Amalfi, Ravello and Positano .. is a beautiful village, with bad and breakfast, sandy beach, mini market, restaurants and a fabulous square bar .. with bus to arrive Ravello, Maiori, Salerno and minor, and to achieve amalfi takes 3 min walk to amalfi is the bus terminal and within six mun positano or sorrento. From Atrani to Amalfi organize scenic walks or Ravello, or boat trip ...

If you need information contact me ..

best regards

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,174 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: town to town or have a base on one?

You will eat into your time if you move out of and into hotels. You will also have the bother of having to check out and hold onto your luggage as check out is hours before check in.

Stay in one place and do day trips.

Lima
Level Contributor
55 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: town to town or have a base on one?

Thanks for the tips! :) checking hotel availability and prices, quite expensive (I am going there for Easter). Do you think that I can setup Sorrento as basis and explore from there? or it will be too far away?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,794 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: town to town or have a base on one?

No, not far at all but the SITA buses can be very crowded and you wouldn't get that Amalfi Coast picturesque village atmosphere - Sorrento is on a peninsula and is not the Amalfi Coast.

9. Re: town to town or have a base on one?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 06:17