We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring with grandchildren

new jersey
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Touring with grandchildren

My husband & I are taking our 2 twelve year old granddaughters on a Cruise that leaves Naples on August 19th. We want to tour Amalfi & Capri for 2-3 days before we embark. We will fly from the New York/NJ area. Since there doesn't seem to be a direct flight to Naples, should we fly into Rome & take the train to Naples? Where should we stay so we can get to Vesuvius & Capri?

Private Day Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Mandara Car Services
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours
Tours of Amalfi Coast - Capri, Pompeii & More
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Taxis & Shuttles, Food Tours
Zia Lucy
Walking Tours, Cooking Classes, Hiking & Camping Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring with grandchildren

I would fly to Naples on some flight - usually it's a connection in London or Paris or Munich or Amsterdam...

I guess lately I prefer to fly Lufthansa through Munich... coming from New York you have lots of choices...

The conventional place for you to stay would be Sorrento.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
15,509 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring with grandchildren

I usually take the train from Rome but this year I went with a connecting flight to Naples and it really was easier. I'd suggest that, especially with kids and luggage for a cruise.

If Vesuvio and Capri are your primary goals while in the area I'd stay right in downtown Naples so you can easily get to the bus or train to Vesuvio, as well as to the ferry for Capri.

The Renaissance Mediterraneo, a Marriott hotel, is well located (an easy walk to Molo Beverello for the ferry to Capri, and a short cab ride or bus to the train stations and/or buses for Vesuvio). I've stayed there several times and always enjoyed it, especially breakfast in the rooftop restaurant.

Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring with grandchildren

I would take the direct flight and the train to Naples. Train travel in Italy is easy, fast and efficient. Agree with Elsatravels - stay in Naples - it's easy to get to both places from there. If you're unsure about navigating the public transport system - and in August it will be packed to the rafters and hot - take a private tour. I use www.worldtours.it who are cheap compared with the other companies. They will take all of you to the Amalfi Coast for a day trip in an air conditioned Mercedes - a very nice day out and a relaxing way to go rather than train and bus.

4. Re: Touring with grandchildren

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 05:16