We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train info from rome to salerno

Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
train info from rome to salerno

Hii

Wanted to ask whether I should catch an Intercity train or FRECCIAROSSA train from Rome to Salerno? I noticed that the Intercity train was much cheaper and took an hour longer to reach Salerno. I am travelling on Sunday 9th June with heavy luggage and would be catching a ferry from Salerno to Positano on arrival. I hope that both trains come to the same train station in Salerno, which is 10 minutes walk from the ferry dock.

Can you suggest if theres any other difference between the trains, especially whether one is more prone to delays etc.

Thankss..

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train info from rome to salerno

There is only one train station in Salerno. Long-distance trains in Italy run to time more reliably than any airline, but any form of transport can have unexpected delays. There is no reason to choose between Frecce or InterCity.

Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train info from rome to salerno

Thanks a ton sydneynick for the feedback.

The only direct traon from rome to salerno that I can see on the trenitalia site reaches salerno at 14.47 while the last ferry to positano leaves salerno at 15.30. Will that leave me with enough time to catch the ferry?

Is there any other website that sells train tickets?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train info from rome to salerno

There is a timetable change on 8 June, and it is possible that not all trains on 9 June are yet loaded.

You would have plenty of time to get your ferry. If you look at Salerno with Google Maps, you will see that the train station is about 250 metres from the ferry dock.

You will not get the best price on train travel buying direct from the operator. As well as Trenitalia, you could check out the new competitor: www.italotreno.it/EN

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train info from rome to salerno

With such a large gap in TI's schedule - from 07:21 (from Tiburtina) to 11:45 (at present the first departure shown from Termini, reaching Salerno by 14:47) - there are almost certainly more trains to be added for that Sunday morning!

Similarly, the Italo Treno people haven't yet scheduled, or started selling tickets for, anything prior to their 11:57 from Roma Tiburtina either, despite usually having one 2 hours before that.

And it seems that TI aren't too sure yet about their IC at 12:39 either - as it's unlikely that "Seats sold out on train 553" not only on yours, but also for all of the next three Sundays? I stopped looking after that!)

With boats leaving at 8.40 - 9.40 - 10.40 - 11.40 - 14.10 - 15.30, you may well want to hang on until there's a departure with which you can get to Positano before late in the afternoon?

For most of the trip between Rome and Naples, the IC service takes a slower (but more pleasant!) route - with the faster trains using a new, more direct, more 'tunnelly' trackway that runs further inland.

Of the two, I'd guess that the ICs are more likely to be delayed.... although we've only ever made a claim for such an event after a very slow ride on one of the Frecciarossas!

For me, 3 hours is about the length of journey for which I'd consider paying the extra to travel in 1st Class...

If certain you'd be able to catch the train, with the 11:45 IC for example, today the TI site shows "Economy" deal seats at €19 in 2nd or €28 in 1st... for which the on-the-day "Base" tickets cost €28 and €37.50 respectively.

But perhaps not as good as Italo Treno's offer... for the 2hr 7 minute ride down on their 11:57 from Tiburtina (to arrive Salerno 14:04), they're currently selling "Low Cost" (Non changeable and non refundable) tickets in 2nd class at €20.

If, again, it were me, I'd hang on in the hope of a similar deal on their earlier train - to then get the 14:10 boat?

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train info from rome to salerno

Trenitalia website initially had an earlier IC 723 train leaving Roma Termini at 7:39am, arriving Salerno at 10:30am. I have booked this train for July 16 for 5 of us (super economy at 9euro each). I saw that this train is currently not offered now, have sent an email to ask but still no reply so far. I believe and hope Trenitalia will retain this train or they wouldn't have sold the tickets!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train info from rome to salerno

I see that even on your Tuesday the later Intercity 553 is showing as sold out...

Evidently there are still some scheduling difficulties to be resolved, but no doubt they will be - eventually?

Once they are, do check for any slight changes in your train's departure and arrival times!

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train info from rome to salerno

Hi Peter,

Have been checking the Trenitalia website but there are no additions to the train schedule as yet..

The Italo Treno site has updated a couple of earlier trains leaving Rome at 8:57 and 9:57- both available for 20 euros each..I guess the only cheaper option would be to wait for the super economy tickets on Trenitalia if that becomes available..otherwise, any idea whether the Italo Treno prices tend to increase as we go closer to the travel date? My travel date is 9th June from Rome to Salerno.

Thanks in advance.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train info from rome to salerno

No great consolation, but I'm also seeing no change yet! (Thanks for restating the date - immensely helpful!!!)

Obviously it's proving difficult to squeeze all those trains into the time available - especially if trying to keep some gaps on a Sunday for doing maintenance work?

Still can't think other than that there'll be some more eventually!

With both companies, I think they have several stages with the discount fares... for the IC, €9 to start with (until those are sold), then some at €19 and the remainder at full price... or with Italo Treno and the Freccias €20 or €19 respectively, then upwards...maybe €30 and €29 etc...to full price?

But don't expect there to be too many cheapies at any of those levels - as June and the rest of summer must be when they hope to be able to sell the majority at full price?

Nailbiting times..

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train info from rome to salerno

Worse than that - do have a look at this.... just posted elsewhere in these forums...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k650…

Peter

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train info from rome to salerno

I've gotten email reply from Trenitalia that InterCity 723 is confirmed to run during summer. Just checked and indeed the 7.39am train is now available in Trenitalia website for booking.