We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport from Minori to Paestum for a day trip

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,868 posts
210 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport from Minori to Paestum for a day trip

I would like to visit Paestum for a day from Minori this week. I can't find any detailed instructions on the internet. Can someone help please.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,897 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport from Minori to Paestum for a day trip

Bus to Salerno; train from there to Paestrum. Just looked at Trenitalia for a date next week and it shows different trains from Salerno to Paestrum, taking (on average) about 40 minutes (some a bit less, bit more).

UK
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport from Minori to Paestum for a day trip

The Golden Tour travel company do a guided tour from Amalfi to Paestum on Wednesdays. They provide a shuttle service from Minori or you could catch the bus. We did the tour from Sorrento a couple of years ago and found it well paced and the guide was knowledgeable. IMO the Cathedral in Salerno is well worth a visit.

http://www.goldentours.it/en/from_amalfi.php

Edited: 19 May 2013, 00:30
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport from Minori to Paestum for a day trip

Schedule for the SITA bus that will get you to Salerno....

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5120.pdf

From there, the awkward thing about going by rail to Paestum is a big gap in the morning train schedules - on weekdays, after the 09:21 departure, it's not until 13:39 that the next one leaves!

There are also buses.... rather than reinventing the wheel, perhaps have a look at this....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187781-i1671-k6…

But I'd second the suggestion of also seeing Salerno and its cathedral!

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,868 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport from Minori to Paestum for a day trip

Thanks so much for you helpful replies. I have booked a tour for this Wednesday, but it may not go ahead as they don't have enough people wanting to go, so I have decided to do some homework, just in case. (Today's trip to Capri was cancelled this morning because of the high seas. Such a pity as yesterday, it was calm and 28 degrees.)

My timetable is: SITA bus Minori to Salerno, arriving at 11:15

Giuliano bus (buy ticket onboard) from Piazza della Concordia at 1200, arr Paestum 1310

Giuliano bus from Paestum at 1700, arr Salerno at 1800

SITA bus from Salerno at 1830

Does this work? Does the SITA bus arrive at Piazza della Concordia?

I am intending to go to Salerno itself on a separate day.

Edited: 19 May 2013, 10:13
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport from Minori to Paestum for a day trip

Fingers crossed that the tour will run - all much simpler!

As for your fall-back... whilst I don't know that bus company, superficially at least the itinerary looks fine!

From Minori, the SITA bus will stop at Piazza della Concordia, on the seafront in Salerno - where there's a run of several bus stops... try having a look on GoogleMaps Streetview, to see if you can spot the one used by Giulano.

On the way back, from Corso Garibaldi walk to the railway station - where the SITA buses bound for Amalfi etc make a brief call at a stop that's directly in front of the main entrance/exit!

My doubts though stem from that timetable you've found - given the dates it shows, viz... 23/12/2011 - 08/01/2012 - and I fear that may be an old "orphan" webpage, turned up by Google but no longer current?

Their "News" section says replacement schedules took effect from 7 January... "Nell'apposita sezione "Autolinee" sono stati pubblicati i nuovi orari in vigore a partire dal 07 Gennaio."

So I'd suggest relying only on what you see here....

http://www.giulianobus.com/autolinee.html

.... and even then getting your hotel to phone for confirmation before relying on them!

From what I can see though, on... "Sessa Cilento-Cicerale-Agropoli-Salerno" (dal 14/01/2013).... you should be fine with the outward 12:00 departure - however, on the way back, from Mondays to Fridays it's now 17:35 from Paestum, arriving Salerno Corso Garibaldi at 18.45.... and therefore a later SITA bus???

If you'd rather return earlier, might be an idea to take a UnicoCampania ticket with you, to use on the train (stamping it in the platform machine, of course!) - as there's only a ticket dispenser, and no manned office, at Paestum's station... from where services leave at 15:11, 15:41, and then 18:01 and 18:42.

The ticket that would take you all the way to Minori, accepted on both the Regionale trains and then also the SITA bus, would be their zone E6 - which costs just €4.10 as a single, valid for a total of 190 minutes from "validation"....

Peter

PS: Yes, sunny now - but still very windy here too!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
15,208 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport from Minori to Paestum for a day trip

The SITA bus stops at Salerno Centrale, which is a short walk (about four blocks) to/from Piazza Concordia.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,868 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport from Minori to Paestum for a day trip

I have decided to go to Salerno sightseeing tomorrow. My dear old Dad used to say "Time is never wasted in reconnaissance". I'll report back, for future reference.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport from Minori to Paestum for a day trip

We found it a much more interesting place than we'd expected - renovated, as I recollect, by the same guy who had brought new life to Barcellona's seafront - and I believe they've now got several of the Lombard churches open again.

Think we more or less just wandered, although these may be of use?

cmut.it/media/Salerno%20Tourist%20Guide.pdf

salernoconventionbureau.it/upload/File/itine…

Also...

www.comune.salerno.it/client/menu.aspx…

... and, on this one, the address of the tourist info office - hopefully still open?

comune.salerno.it/client/scheda_news.aspx…

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport from Minori to Paestum for a day trip

Apologies for the mis-direction!

For anyone else set to visit, see Dale's post here....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187781-i1671-k6…

Looks as though, this year - at best - that second and more convenient branch of the Tourist Office will be opening only in high season!

Peter

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,868 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport from Minori to Paestum for a day trip

Really enjoyed Salerno. Yes, the cathedral is worth a visit. It has a wonderful crypt - not quite as good as the one in Amalfi. Don't you just hate it when you are not allowed to take photos, but there aren't any postcards to buy!!!! I had a lovely lunch in the centro storico - the cheapest lunch yet. Nastro Azzuro 330 ml bottle for 2 euros. The cheapest so far has been 3.50 euros and more often 5 euros. My dear late husband said you can always judge the price of food at a restaurant by checking the price of your favourite beer. The gnocchi was brilliant 7 euros. It was called Trattoria-Pizzeria "La Lampar" da "Peppe a Seccia". It had a TA decal on the window so I should write a review. (I've drifted seriously off post!)

SITA bus' final stop is Piazza Concordia. I went to the main station and the bus company CSTP is there. I bought a return ticket to Paestum for 3.40 euros each way. The CSTP bus #34 leaves from Piazza Concordia, but you can't buy your tickets on the bus. The timetable is available on their website. He said it's every hour each way, but when I checked, it's not quite.

I was looking forward to posting this after I'd done the tour on my own, but the travel agent phoned and their guided tour to Paestum has been confirmed. Anyone want a couple of free E5 tickets?

Thank you everyone for your help

Edited: 21 May 2013, 18:22