We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Input on Sorrento day trips

The Villages...
Level Contributor
259 posts
993 reviews
Save Topic
Input on Sorrento day trips

We will be staying in Sorrento for 8 nights in mid-September2013. Our plan is to take day trips from there and I would like anyone's suggestion on the following logistics, trips, ideas, etc.

1) arrive Napoli airport -- take the Curreri Viaggi coach from airport to Sorrento.

Planned day trips (not in any particular order):

1) Capri -- ferry to island; visit Blue Grotto; visit Tiberius's villa; other suggestions?

2) Naples -- take Circumvesuvius train to Napoli Centrale; walk to Archaeological Museum & tour museum; walking tour from museum area to port and in between -- pizza for lunch!!

3) Amalfi Coast tour --- SITA bus down Amalfi Coast to Amalfi and over to Ravello -- walking tour of Ravello & lunch. Bus back to Amalfi -- wander Amalfi to port and then ferry back to Sorrento. (Are ferries doing this in September??)

4) Positano --- SITA bus to Positano -- spend day sightseeing -- ferry back to Sorrento

5) Herculaneum --- Circumvesuvius train to Ercolano stop -- self tour of Herculaneum --MAY consider van tour of Vesuvius if weather and time permits -- Circumvesuvius train back to Sorrento

6) Pompeii --- Circumvesuvius train to Pompei Scavi stop --- spend day self-touring -- train back to Sorrento

7) Paestum --- Circumvesuvius train to Napoli Centrale, then train to Paestum - tour sight and then return same way.

I'm having trouble finding info on trains to Paestum. Trenitalia lists "no solutions" even if I put in dates for this week.

Finally, when leaving Sorrento, plan is to take Circumvesuvius to Napoli Centrale and then Trenitalia to Roma Termini.

So that's my plan. All comments, suggestions and solutions are welcome. Feel free to suggest restaurants as well. Thanks for any help.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,924 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Input on Sorrento day trips

I believe the train to Paestum is regional, not trenitalia. So you could take the train to Salerno and then the separate train to Paestum. If you do a search for "Paestum" on this board, you will find tons of threads on how to get there via public transport - including a couple that are active today.

I don't think the ferries between Sorrento and the A/C are running mid-September, or if they are it is on a limited schedule. Again, a search for this topic will lead to threads with the current info.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,742 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Input on Sorrento day trips

For Capri - you can look over www.capri.net for all there is to see and do there.

Cape Coral, Florida
Level Contributor
46 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Input on Sorrento day trips

Sorrento is one of our favorite places! Spent 5 nights there in Sept 2010 and we are going back in Sept 2013!

For Capri.....check the weather (you don't want to go in the rain :-) and ferry times before deciding when to go. We had a beautiful day, although the Blue Grotto was closed due to swells closing off the entrance. However, we still took a boat tour around the island, saw the Green Grotto, through the Faraglioni Rocks, past the lighthouse, and had great panorama views. I recommend taking the bus from Marina Grande to Anacapri along the "Oh My God Road"! Narrow, windy road up and up. Then in Anacapri take the chair lift (a single seat, open chair lift) up to the top of Monte Solaro -- 1,900' summit with gorgeous views! At the top, there's an observation area on several levels. Incredible views from this height. And picture perfect views of the Faraglioni Rocks. Take the chair lift back down and roam around the Town of Capri. Take the funicular down to the port for your return trip to Sorrento.

BTW...you can take a bus from Piazza Tasso in Sorrento down to the port (and back up :-). It was only 1 Eu each way per person when we were there. It's quite a hike up and down in Sorrento (200 steps!).

For Pompeii....it's a short walk from the train station to the ruins. Be sure to take water with you, sunscreen and a hat too. There is no shade there. Wear good walking shoes. Have a guide book and map. The site is big and there are not very many signs. You can download a free self-guided walking tour onto your Ipod and a map from the Rick Steves website.

We hired a private van and driver for our day trip tour of the Amalfi coast, with lunch up at Ravello.

If you have time while in Sorrento, walk down to Marina Grande. Go past the old Greek gate. This is an easy downhill walk, a sloping path with an easy sloping stair now and then. Marina Grande is a delightful, charming fishing village with a few little open air restaurants. Take the bus back up the hill -- worth the 1.10 EU each!

Also walk over to the Lemon Grove Garden in Sorrento -- a lovely, picturesque grove of lemon trees. Sample some limoncello!

Go to the Foreigner's Club to sit on the terrace, sip a glass of wine, and enjoy the beautiful view of the Bay of Naples.

Just off of Piazza Tasso are the ruins of of old mill ruins several stories below the city street level.

I'm sure you'll love Sorrento!

The Villages...
Level Contributor
259 posts
993 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Input on Sorrento day trips

I'm thinking that I just don't understand the train system and what's called what. I went on a site called Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane and punched in from Napoli Centrale to Paestum. It does show the train listed as being Regionale, but I can't see that there are train changes. So are you saying that I do have to change trains in Salerno? Do I take Trenitalia just to Salerno and the this the rest of the way? Help!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Input on Sorrento day trips

See one of your several other posts!

Peter

6. Re: Input on Sorrento day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 06:17