We will be staying in Sorrento for 8 nights in mid-September2013. Our plan is to take day trips from there and I would like anyone's suggestion on the following logistics, trips, ideas, etc.
1) arrive Napoli airport -- take the Curreri Viaggi coach from airport to Sorrento.
Planned day trips (not in any particular order):
1) Capri -- ferry to island; visit Blue Grotto; visit Tiberius's villa; other suggestions?
2) Naples -- take Circumvesuvius train to Napoli Centrale; walk to Archaeological Museum & tour museum; walking tour from museum area to port and in between -- pizza for lunch!!
3) Amalfi Coast tour --- SITA bus down Amalfi Coast to Amalfi and over to Ravello -- walking tour of Ravello & lunch. Bus back to Amalfi -- wander Amalfi to port and then ferry back to Sorrento. (Are ferries doing this in September??)
4) Positano --- SITA bus to Positano -- spend day sightseeing -- ferry back to Sorrento
5) Herculaneum --- Circumvesuvius train to Ercolano stop -- self tour of Herculaneum --MAY consider van tour of Vesuvius if weather and time permits -- Circumvesuvius train back to Sorrento
6) Pompeii --- Circumvesuvius train to Pompei Scavi stop --- spend day self-touring -- train back to Sorrento
7) Paestum --- Circumvesuvius train to Napoli Centrale, then train to Paestum - tour sight and then return same way.
I'm having trouble finding info on trains to Paestum. Trenitalia lists "no solutions" even if I put in dates for this week.
Finally, when leaving Sorrento, plan is to take Circumvesuvius to Napoli Centrale and then Trenitalia to Roma Termini.
So that's my plan. All comments, suggestions and solutions are welcome. Feel free to suggest restaurants as well. Thanks for any help.