We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arte Card -- can this be clarified?

The Villages...
Level Contributor
305 posts
1,026 reviews
Save Topic
Arte Card -- can this be clarified?

I have spent half the day trying to sort out this one issue. Reading what seems like a thousand posts, I find that I am apparently not the only one confused. So it appears that the most common options are the 3-day pass that includes two free sites, 50% off other sites after that and unlimited travel on ????? Then there is the 7-day pass that includes most of the sites, but no travel. I am going to be in Sorrento for 7 full days, but the first one will be spent on Capri. So that leaves me 6 days. I'm thinking I should plan on two 3-day passes, but need someone to clarify a few things. So this relates only to the 3-day passes: do they give you unlimited travel on all SITA buses? Do they include travel on the Circumvesuvius trains? I will be taking the Regional train from Naples to Paestum -- will it cover that?

I have read there are actually 11 different Arte cards --- I'm going to ignore the other 9.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Naples
Naples
Paestum
Paestum
Capaccio-Paestum, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,514 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arte Card -- can this be clarified?

the 3 day arte card includes unlimited SITA and CV use. It's hard to comment on what configuration makes sense without knowing your itinerary. Which days will you be using transit? Which sites will you be visiting. It could be that the 7 day card supplemented by separate transit tickets and/or cards will be cheaper. I wouldn't think that 2 artecards would be the solution.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
305 posts
1,026 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arte Card -- can this be clarified?

Thanks for your input. It helps a lot. I've tried as best I can to do the math and it appears that two cards may indeed be the best. The first 3 days are about a wash, but definitely good on the second three. I am staying the entire time in Sorrento. My first three days: Day 1 we would take the CV from Sorrento to Naples, then sites would be Archaeological Museum, Palazzo Reale, Teatro di San Carlo, Castel Nuoro; 2nd day - visit Pompeii, to and from trips on the CV; 3rd day - bus to Amalfi and then Ravello. Second three days would be: Day 1 - CV to Naples, Regionale train to Paestum, visit Paestum site and museum, train back to Naples, CV to Sorrento; Day 2 - visit Herculaneum, use CV to and from Sorrento (maybe bus to Vesuvius); Day 3- bus to Positano (ferry back). I don't expect you to do the math, but thought you might take a look and see if two 3-day cards seemed reasonable. Also would give me a cheaper option if something else came up I wanted to do.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples
Naples
Palazzo Reale
Palazzo Reale
1,399 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Paestum
Paestum
Capaccio-Paestum, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,514 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arte Card -- can this be clarified?

for what you have planned (more than I was expecting!) I think you're probably right. It's possible that you could save a few euros by breaking out the transportation, but it's probably not worth chasing down all of the tickets and passes you'd need to save about the cost of limoncello.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arte Card -- can this be clarified?

Particularly if you're not going to be here until September, perhaps the key things to note are these....

- some changes to the Artecard offering are due soon, including eventually (or so they say) one that can be customised to your own itinerary... see:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k64…

- the only version (at present) with a transport side that's valid for use in the Sorrento Peninsula and AC area is the 3 day "All Region" card - €27, but set to increase to €32 (if that hasn't actually happened already on the ground, if not on their website?)

- the 3 day "All Region" card comes with what's effectively one of these:

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

... which covers all the regional transport services (including, yes, the CV network, and Trenitalia's regional services to Paestum) shown on:

- it's some years since the Artecard was available at Naples airport... and no versions are accepted on the Curreri Viaggi company's buses between there and Sorrento... nor are any of the current versions valid on Capri, or on any of the ferries or hydrofoils etc!

If you can bear to do so, I'd suggest putting this aside for now - in anticipation there being more news by mid-June, when the main holiday season starts?

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Paestum
Paestum
Capaccio-Paestum, Italy
Naples Airport
Naples Airport
Naples, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Scranton...
Level Contributor
619 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arte Card -- can this be clarified?

Just a note....we just got back, and attempted to purchase an Arte Card "All Region" at Napoli Centrale and again at Sorrento. None were available.

We were told that a new "package" would be coming out by the end of May, and that the pricing and structure of the Arte Card program was changing. Until the new "package" is issued and distributed, the Arte Card Tutto Regione is not available.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arte Card -- can this be clarified?

Thanks for that!

There'd been previous reports of them having sold out in Naples, but now Sorrento as well - just a shame they couldn't synchronise things better?

In the meanwhile, if needing a transport, pass the choice perhaps comes down to these:

- for use if staying within the various Comunes listed:

- or, if also going any further afield, the 3T:

.... with two of that one, together with the 7 day Tutta la regione Artecard (IF still available?)...

www.campaniartecard.it/itinerary.cfm?id=4

.... working out to 20+20+30 = 70 Euro..... rather dearer than 2 of the 3 day version - but getting one into 5 sites, not two lots of two?

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Sorrento
Sorrento
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arte Card -- can this be clarified?

Details of changes to the Artecard offer are now available on their nicely-improved website.....

http://www.campaniartecard.it/

..... hopefully, the new Cards themselves won't be far behind?

Peter

The Villages...
Level Contributor
305 posts
1,026 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arte Card -- can this be clarified?

Thank you for the update and link, Peter.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
619 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arte Card -- can this be clarified?

Thanks, Peter. Looks like the biggest change on the Tutta la Regione card is that transportation is no longer included.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arte Card -- can this be clarified?

Nope - no change there.... as before, it IS included with the 3 day version - and ISN'T with the 7 day one!

Peter