We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights - Positano or Amalfi or ?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights - Positano or Amalfi or ?

We will be 2 friends staying in the area for 4 nights in October. I will already be spending a week in Positano for a wedding, then deciding if I should spend the last 4 nights in Positano or Amalfi, or elsewhere like Sorrento... This will be my first time in the area. I love good food, especially homemade Italian! and quaint cozy towns by the water, not too touristy nor expensive (max USD300 per night for hotel or B&B) but still convenient and walkable. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights - Positano or Amalfi or ?

My favourite is sorrento, so that would be my choice and is great if you want to visist places like Pompeii, Ercolano or Capri.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,521 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights - Positano or Amalfi or ?

Sorrento is one of the most 'touristy' places in Italy - if you don't want touristy then avoid it.

The village of Atrani, south of Amalfi, is beautiful, as is Priano. What did you mean by 'convenient'? The Amalfi Coast villages are not necessarily convenient for sightseeing in other areas (such as Pompeii). If you want that, then Naples or Sorrento are your choices. Sorrento - touristy. Naples - not so but it's not a quaint village either. Have a look at some guide books or try this website www.amalficoastweb.com

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
113 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights - Positano or Amalfi or ?

I am also visiting Amalfi coast for the first time. Do you suggest I stay in sorrento and visit neighbor cities? Also what's the best way to tour the cities.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,610 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights - Positano or Amalfi or ?

Sorrento is a much larger town than any of the 13 AC villages - some of which are less busy than others. October is still high season so it will be busy but not bursting with crowds - it is a lovely time to visit - Sorrento has a very different landscape than the AC and because it is much bigger, a very different feel than the villages. All personal taste. I don't like Sorrento and others love it. You might love it -

You might consider Ischia or Capri as well since you will have already stayed in Positano. Just read up more on the area and look at photographs.

www.capri.net - glorious hiking, ancient sites, etc on Capri - I'm partial. I'm off to stay a week there next month. Can't wait.

The Ischia forums have a lot of wonderful info particularly posts by Peter_in_Ischia.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,267 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights - Positano or Amalfi or ?

As a base in the area Sorrento is ideal, it is touristy, but like others have said, you love or hate, personally if in the area I would not want to stay anywhere else,

13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights - Positano or Amalfi or ?

Hi there hcychan

I see you've been in Positano last year... How did you find it? Where did you stay in Positano? Me and my boyfriend going there in Sept and I would like to stay in Positano but got difficulties to find a nice hotel/b&b reasonably priced...everything is GBP200 and I'd like to spend half of that per night...still be close to everything and have a clean room too...am I going to have any luck? Or is it a bit cheaper down in Amalfi? A bit frustrated as everything I like is fully booked already...any recommendation I'd appreciate...

Many thanks

Veronika

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
113 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights - Positano or Amalfi or ?

You can stay at Sorrento and take a ferry there. Sorrento has a great places to stay and reasonbale fees. That's what we did.

Robina
Level Contributor
48 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 nights - Positano or Amalfi or ?

It depends on what else you want to see - Sorrento is just lovely, and you can get ferries to both Capri and Ischia from there, and also do a day trip to Ercolano or Pompei - we stayed there for 4 days. We then stayed in Amalfi for 8 days a couple of years ago, right down in the town on the harbour itself, it was superb as it is a good port with boats going to different places, but even more importantly are the bus services from there - you could spend a lovely day in Ravello, a pretty special village, then some of the other small towns along the coast, take a ferry back to Positano, so you could check out the coastline etc. etc. We also did a1 day cooking class with "Mamma Agata" in Ravello - just loved the whole area.

United States
Level Contributor
808 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 nights - Positano or Amalfi or ?

We just spent 4 nights in Positano and found is great for relaxation, food, views, day trips to Amalfi and Ravello, people watching, etc.

It is not convenient for a day trip to Pompeii, if that's one place you want to see. Naples or Sorrento would be much better for that. But you can take the ferry to Capri for a day trip, if interested.

We visited Amalfi, and were glad we were staying in Positano. Yes, it has stairs, but we found Amalfi way too crowded. Definitely the bus station and the fact that cruise ships can dock there have something to do with it...

10. Re: 4 nights - Positano or Amalfi or ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 21:45