We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth while to split a week between Positano & Ravello?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Worth while to split a week between Positano & Ravello?

We'll be traveling to the region in April, and I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to split our time between Positano and Ravello. From what I've read so far, it sounds like Positano will make a better base to explore the region and Ravello, being slightly less accessible, will make a good place to just kick back and relax. Any opinions from those familiar with the area?

Also, will it be too cool to enjoy the water in mid-April?

Gratzi!

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,423 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth while to split a week between Positano & Ravello?

I have recommended to people that they choose two bases, but only if they are at opposite ends of the coast and make sense for their itinerary. These two spots are only a bus ride apart. However, you would certainly get a different flavor from each so you may find it worthwhile. If I were going to consider this plan, I'd make it a much more inaccessible interior village instead.

April would be too cold for swimming for me for sure. But you may get quite sunny warm days of course.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth while to split a week between Positano & Ravello?

I stayed in Minori for 8 days in May last year. I had a few very hot days; I didn't swim but a few did. Positano and Ravello are only a couple of buses away from each other. The buses are a great way to get around the Amalfi Coast. You have to change in Amalfi. I wouldn't waste time splitting a week

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth while to split a week between Positano & Ravello?

I don't like to move my lodgings much but you don't mind, a few days up in Ravello may work for what you are looking to do. I personally like to be by the sea and not have to take transportation to get to it - but, Ravello is beautiful, very small, flat (which will be different than Positano) and has gorgeous views- takes about 20 plus minutes up and down via bus to the village of Amalfi.

I can't imagine swimming in mid-April - even if it does get warm out, the sea is usually still very cold then. The ferries along the coast usually begin running around Easter, which is April 20 this year but they begin a bit earlier; won't know yet for a few months.

4. Re: Worth while to split a week between Positano & Ravello?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 06:19