We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving southern Italy?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Diving southern Italy?

Has anyone recent experience of diving in southern Italy, Amalfi Coast?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,576 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving southern Italy?

Yes. What do you want to know?

Roskilde, Denmark
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving southern Italy?

Perhaps you can write something about the traffic from Sorrento to Napoli/Vesuvia/Pompeii in the summer.

Also on the coast road of Amalfi.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving southern Italy?

The traffic for the wAmalfi Coast - is horrendous in the summer and parking is scarce and expensive. I would absolutely advise against renting a car for the Amalfi Coast in the summer.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,576 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving southern Italy?

Agree with Engred has said - horrible traffic. It just a two lane road (one lane for each direction) and it is clogged up with gigantic tour buses that the road was not made for so traffic crawls - it's awful, pure and simple

Save yourself the headache and frustration.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving southern Italy?

The only reason to drive the AC road is to brag... "I drove the AC ...AND SURVIVED!!". If you like challenging hair raising adventures (as I do) then do it, but to see the scenery..take the bus.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving southern Italy?

Better yet, take the ferry.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving southern Italy?

OK take the bus one way, and the ferry back. Both vistas are different.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving southern Italy?

I would not want to travel on the hot and crowded bus on the AC if traveling during high season, when I could have the wind in my hair riding the ferry - but that's just me! :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,576 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Diving southern Italy?

Me too - ferry all the way whenever possible. Too many miserable trips on those buses, standing and being flung around when going on each curve of the road - getting passed by buses that are too full.

It is now a firm "never again" rule for me in that area - ruins a whole day for when I've done it it's so miserable and who needs that on holiday and when there are ferries right there.

I even got stuck in two horrible bus situations in March a few years ago - cold, a bit rainy but the bus was late (not unusual) packed when it arrived but got on and had to stand from Positano to Amalfi (about 40 minutes) and had actual bruises on my legs from getting flung about - then getting back, I had to scream and fight my way off the bus in Positano or the bus driver was going to pass by everyone waiting for the bus and not let anyone off.

That was it for me. It's a vacation - supposed to be relaxing, fun - do it the nice way is my suggestion.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diving southern Italy?

I am going in April to Sorrento and was going to hire a car, having second thoughts now.