We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry type travel

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
996 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry type travel

I will be in Italy in June (bucket list finally being realised ) and was contemplating bus travel from Sorrento to Amalfi via the varied stops along the way such as Positano etc. I'm trying to google with little success so far if there are ferries I could catch back from Amalfi to Sorrento in the late afternoon/ evening? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,968 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry type travel

The Amalfi coast ferries operate in the summer months, usually from late Mid April to October www.alicost.it www.coopsantandrea.com

Amalfi coast buses.

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5110.pdf

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5120.pdf

From Sorrento sit on the right hand side of the bus for views.

Campania region www.italia.it/en/home/html www.sorrentotourism.com www.amalficoastweb.com www.pompeiisites.org

Edited: 09 March 2014, 08:06
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,968 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry type travel

Campania region www.italia.it/en/home.html

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
996 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry type travel

Thank you. The ferry seems a nice alternate way to travel back after the view from the road - and thanks for the hint of which side to sit n, much appreciated ;)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,098 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry type travel

Last year, the last ferry from Amalfi to Sorrento was not very late in the day - the new one will be out in a few weeks so you can see what it will be - but, I recall it being around 3 or 4 p.m. - Just a hint that if planning on staying late, you will need to return via bus.

Also - try to take the very first bus of the day from Sorrento for that ride - there will already be a long/big line waiting for that bus (and every one after that) so try to get there as early as possible and don't be surprised if you don't get on the first one you wait for; they are packing people in, people stand the entire way - and, sorry, there is nothing at all pleasant about the experience -coming or going. Standing on a bus (I've done it - never again) that is driving a winding, curvy road is really uncomfortable and I came away with actual bruises on my legs from being swung about so much and hitting seats when we took the curves.

Personally, I'd take the first ferry from Sorrento over to Amalfi (which last year (again this is from memory) was around 10 a.m.), then take the 20-30 minute bus ride up to Ravello, come down, mooch around Amalfi, grab the next ferry from there to Positano, spend a bit of time and jump on last ferry back to Sorrento - or, if later than the last ferry, take bus back to Sorrento, catching it at the La Sponda stop in Positano (you can just ask someone where that is) It is one of two stops in Positano and it is the first one coming into Positano from Amalfi so you have a better chance of getting on that bus than if you went to the second bus stop.

Or: alternative - first ferry Sorrento to Amalfi, Amalfi up to Ravello, then down to Amalfi, ferry to Positano and then last ferry from Positano to Sorrento - I'd probably do this order of things, actually but you can choose if you decide to use the ferries for this day trip.

I know this sounds discouraging (the bus) but it is the reality of the situation in high season and oftentimes in off season - so, just be prepared as to what to expect. A lot of people have gone without knowing about this and ended up being really frustrated and - somewhat angry.

You didn't want to stay on the Amalfi Coast itself?

5. Re: Ferry type travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 15:00
6. Re: Ferry type travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 04:19