We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay for an older person.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
137 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay for an older person.

I am booking a holiday at the end of September. My 80-year-old Mum will be joining us. Even though she can walk quite well, slopes are bit of an issue. We will have a car, and will use public transport where possible. I have been looking at either Salerno or Maioro for accomodation. Are there any other towns where the centre is flat enough to walk around (maybe Amalfi?)and where we could possibly base ourselves. Thanks

Manchester.
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay for an older person.

I would recommend Sorrento. All the Amalfi coast is steep but in Sorrento town you can walk about quite comfortably. I have been to Sorrento several times (I too am "getting on a bit in years) but find Sorrento town ok plus it is convenient to visit other places - Amalfi etc by local bus. You can also get to Pompeii, Herculaneum Naples etc quite easily on the Circumvesuviana train. Good luck.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,492 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay for an older person.

Sorrento is not the Amalfi Coast; furthermore, you must be careful about the address of any hotel in Sorrento as many are up on the hills overlooking the town.

There are towns along the coast that are flatter than others, Amalfi is one of them. You could also look at Minori, although it's pretty small and I don't know how much you'd have to choose from there.

Salerno fits the "flat" criteria, but it's also not along the Amalfi Coast. If the Amalfi Coast is your primary goal for this visit I'd look to stay along the coast, if you will be using it as a base to visit other places perhaps Salerno may be wiser.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
137 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay for an older person.

Thank you both for your advice. Really appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,130 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay for an older person.

If you don't need to be right at the beach/sea, consider the nice, beautiful and flat Ravello - about a 20 minute bus ride up from Amalfi, which I too think is a good choice as the main road that runs through heart of village (from sea to inland) and then there's a nice walk right along the sea/harbor area with some restaurants that are an easy walk -

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,353 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay for an older person.

My experience of Amalfi town is that, while it is quite flat down by the port, where the buses stop, once you start walking away from that, towards the Duomo and beyond, it can be rather steep. I didn't have any problems with it, but wouldn't want to count on it's being okay for your mum.

I agree on Sorrento as the main parts of it are flat and there are things there (shops, cafes) that might interest your mum if she were to decide to stay behind while the rest of you went on some sort of hilly adventure. I know many people on this forum disagree with me, but I found Sorrento's close-in suburb Sant Agnello quite pleasant, largely flat, less touristy than Sorrento, and not lacking in shops, etc. It is the train stop (about 1 or 2 mins.) before Sorrento on the Circumvesuviana.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,130 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay for an older person.

You can see the main street in Amalfi here - it is not steep -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpoS7iePaSY

As you can see, the street is very narrow with lots of people walking along it; it is lined with shops and restaurants. If you continue walking along it you will reach an old paper making plant - very nice part of the village at the end and an easy walk.

Walking up the steps to the Duomo would be a huge challenge though -

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
137 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay for an older person.

Thank you very much MomCat1992 and QQ2. I really appreciate the feedback from people who have been. Mum will be fine if she can sit in the sun, with a book, if the terrein looks too challenging. Just want to make sure she sees enough and when I choose a town / hotel she is basically trapped because of too difficult slopes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,224 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay for an older person.

And the entrance to Amalfi cathedral

http://goo.gl/maps/VOk1k

9. Re: Best place to stay for an older person.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 05:18