We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento or Praiano or Pasitano?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
31 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento or Praiano or Pasitano?

Coming from Rome to the Amalfi coast for 3 nights to start our week long vacation in July. We're considering staying in Praiano after reading some great reviews of a couple properties but now noticing how nice Sorrento is. This is our first time in the Amalfi coast. We want to relax, possibly take a boat on a tour and just walk through the towns to explore. Anyone have any strong opinions on whether to stay in Sorrento or head over to Praiano or Pasitano and stay there?

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Tours of Amalfi Coast - Capri, Pompeii & More
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Taxis & Shuttles, Food Tours
L'Altra Costiera
Sightseeing Tours
Touring Amalfi Coast Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,494 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento or Praiano or Pasitano?

Should you want o take day excursions to Pompeii, Herculaneum and Capri, Sorrento is a good base www.sorrentotourism.com

Just want to relax, then stay on the Amalfi coast www.amalficoastweb.com

Amalfi coast buses www.sitasudtrasporti.it Click on Orari for Campania bus times

Ferries www.travelmar.it www.coopsantandrea.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

Edited: 26 March 2014, 06:09
Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,403 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento or Praiano or Pasitano?

Sorrento is not on the Amalfi coast, it does make a better base to visit other areas. If you stay in Positano and want to go to Pompeii or Herculaneum you have to take a bus (or boat) to Sorrento (then the commuter train). During peak season the bus can be totally packed. If you don't plan visit Pompeii/Herculaneum then I would stay in Positano or Praiano. It's really a matter of personal choice, with only 3 nights you need to decide if you want to 'chill out' or visit other places.

If you are returning to the US from Rome, you should spend your last night in Italy in Rome.

Edited: 26 March 2014, 10:19
Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,538 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento or Praiano or Pasitano?

"We want to relax, possibly take a boat on a tour and just walk through the towns to explore."

IMO Positano would be the best spot for you. Plenty to explore in the town, lots of boats to rent and easy ferry access if you want to go to another town on the AC - although I wouldn't recommend it is you only have 3 days. You really only have 2.5 days by the time you get from Rome to Positano (train from Rome to Salerno, then ferry from Salerno to Positano).

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
31 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento or Praiano or Pasitano?

Thanks all! Found a couple great places to stay in Praiano where they have hourly shuttle bus service over to Positano. I realize it's a bit quieter than Positano but was wondering if anyone felt strongly about staying in Positano vs. Praiano for those few nights?

Mentioned in this post
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,538 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento or Praiano or Pasitano?

Especially with the little time you have in the area, I would not want to waste my time waiting for an hourly bus every time I wanted to go somewhere, and then have to sit in traffic on the road into Positano (which can be significant in July).

But if you want to get to Praiano and just stay there for your 2.5 days, then it is probably a good choice.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,690 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento or Praiano or Pasitano?

I always stay in Positano - always will - I have stayed in other villages along the coast over the years (years ago) and finally realized there is only one that really appeals to me - But, everyone is different. I too wouldn't want to waste my time in heat of the summer waiting for a shuttle but.

If I did go at that time of year for such a brief period of time, I'd just stay put and enjoy the village of Praiano - swimming, laying in the sun, taking a boat ride instead of going around to anywhere else - they are not all that different from each other and for such a short amount of time, it seems to kind of defeat the purpose (to me, anyway) of being by the seaside which usually implies relaxing, views, swimming in the sea -

But, do what you feel is most suited to your tastes. These comparisons about how Praiano is supposedly so much smaller and less busy than Positano always make me laugh a bit because there is much of Positano that is not bursting at the seams with people (though everyone crowds to the same few places) and the village itself is still a small village though just not as small as Praiano.

Keep looking at photographs and reading about the differences and then decide.

Sorrento is nothing like the Amalfi Coast villages - it's much much bigger (truly larger) and the landscape is different. If that appeals to you more, go there.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
31 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento or Praiano or Pasitano?

Are there restaurants etc. to walk around in Praiano? I've heard Positano can be very touristy so would like to spend some time there but not be there for the entire time since we're thinking of maybe doing a boat tour over to Capri or do some kayaking, hiking etc.

Mentioned in this post
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,690 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorrento or Praiano or Pasitano?

At that time of year all the villages are very touristy; Positano is just bigger than Praiano and also has the ferry over to Capri, etc so it may seem so; of course, there are restaurants in Praiano - it's just a smaller that Amalfi or Positano - with less transportation options.

If you are planning a day in Capri, again I can't see going all the way to the Amalfi Coast then - maybe you should stay in Sorrento from which there is a boat (more of them) to Capri - you could go to Capri one day and then take a ferry from Sorrento to the AC for a day. But, it is just 2.5 days, right? Or did I misunderstand? I'm just not sure I understand why go all the way to the AC and then just use it as a base when it is so spectacular a place to be - that leaves me forever baffled.

Oh well. Your choice, obviously but do not underestimate the amount of time getting from one village to the other and do enjoy some of the many wonderful things there are to enjoy in any one of the villages without always having to leave it.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,538 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorrento or Praiano or Pasitano?

Like MC said, there are many parts of Positano that are not touristy. You will have to get to Positano to go over to Capri and the famous hike (Path of the Gods) starts/ends in the hills above Positano. If you want to do more than just relax on the beach in Praiano, then staying in Positano makes more sense.

But it seems like your heart is set on staying in Praiano, and it is your vacation so by all means do it. Just don't be surprised/annoyed about waiting around in the heat for the shuttle and possibly being stuck in traffic getting to/from Praiano.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,690 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorrento or Praiano or Pasitano?

I do think it is just one of those things you don't really quite grasp until you have been there - For example, it is less than 10 miles between Positano and Amalfi, but it takes about 40 minutes to drive between them - that is due to the nature of the coastal road and the traffic.

It's just having had the experience the first time and you will know what to then expect - when someone reads - oh, it's just a tad over 9 miles, they don't then imagine a 40 minute drive. So, just factor in the unknowns and don't be surprised by timings and then you won't be disappointed or feel rushed if you plan around those realities.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy