We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions for August in Amalf Coast

Bedford...
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions for August in Amalf Coast

Hello, I have finally booked my air travel and will arrive in Naples on Aug. 6th at 11:30 a.m. We will leave from Naples at 12:20 on August 16th. We have decided for most of our stay to rent a private apt./villa which has to be Saturday to Saturday, so Aug. 9th to the Aug 16th. Originally we looked into Praiano but have now decided on Positano,

Before our one week rental we have 2 days, 3 nights to plan. I really want to see Capri and thought rather than just a day trip from Positano, maybe we go there for 2 nights. Do you think 2 nights in Capri is too long? We also want to see Pompeii, and I am wrestling with seeing that while we are already in Naples on arrival.

We want to visit Amalfi, Ravello and Sorrento while we are there as well.

I would love some recommendations on itinerary that would make this the most efficient, relaxing and pleasant as can be.

Thank you!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions for August in Amalf Coast

Staying on Capri for a couple of days would be lovely. I would go directly to Capri upon arrival. On the 9th, you could take the ferry from Capri to Sorrento, then the train from Sorrento to Pompeii, leave you luggage there and tour, then have a driver (pre-arranged) take you from Pompeii to Positano (or go back to Sorrento and catch the 3:00 ferry to Positano - last one of the day).

Alternatively, you could see Pompeii on the day you are seeing Sorrento (although Sorrento is not appealing enough to me to lose a day in Positano visiting it).

Bedford...
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions for August in Amalf Coast

Hello Engred, thank you for your reply. I was wondering if Sorrento warranted any amount of time to see, it sounds like you are not a fan. Will there be plenty to do in Capri for 3 nights, 2 days. I know that the Blue Grotto is must (but it is not always possible to visit). What other highlights would you recommend in Capri?

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions for August in Amalf Coast

TC, I haven't actually made it to Capri yet (I always stay in Positano and have a hard time leaving once I am there), but have several friends who have visited and loved it. One of the regular posters here, MomCat, has spent 5 days or more on Capri on several occasions and always signs the praises of Capri once the day-trippers have left.

Any good AC guidebook should have info on Capri also. You can also check here: www.capri.net

And you are right, I am not a fan of Sorrento. I love the Amalfi Coast and Sorrento is really nothing like it IMO.

Edited: 15 April 2014, 17:53
Bedford...
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions for August in Amalf Coast

Thanks Engred. I have tentatively booked a hotel for three nights on Capri, very very expensive. I am wondering if this itinerary makes sense. Upon arrival on the 6th of August in Naples go straight to Capri. Spend 2 nights, depart Capri late afternoon on the 8th to Sorrento. Stay in Sorrento night of the 8th and spend the day on the 9th visiting Pompeii. From there private car to Positano to start one week rental. My only question is where to keep luggage while visiting Pompeii. Thanks anyone for your feedback.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary suggestions for August in Amalf Coast

That would be too much checking in/out of hotels for my taste - I hate wasting any of my vacation time like that. But it may be fine for you.

There is a left-luggage facility at the entrance of Pompeii where you can leave your luggage.

Bedford...
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary suggestions for August in Amalf Coast

Thanks once again Engred, appreciate the advice.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary suggestions for August in Amalf Coast

No problem - have a wonderful time in my favorite spot in Italy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,081 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary suggestions for August in Amalf Coast

Actually, I sing the praises of Capri even before the day trippers have left because, sadly, most of them seem to hang around the little piazzetta with all the designer stores (no wonder they get bored) or go to the Blue Grotto and then leave - a generalization, of course, but many have reports of doing just this.

There is so much to the island that I have enjoyed with barely a soul around even when the daytrippers are there - it has to much to see and do - I would give it, personally, a minimum of 3 nights but, that's just me - it is so extraordinary and I can never do all I want in just two days or even 3 but, 3 (to me) is better than just 2.

Up to you - I'd suggest reading about in your guidebook (the history of the island is fascinating and I think makes the experience of exploring there that much more satisfying if you know that history) -

The www.capri.net site is very good - also, I think while very similar, there are some differences enough to make it work a few minutes to look over http://www.capritourism.com/en/home - If you click on the tab "tourist guide" there's some helpful info there.

I adore it - for me it is either there or Positano for a week plus time when I go. Because it's also, for me, about relaxing at the sea and all that involves - not just rushing around to places. I pretty much become a sloth and don't jam a lot into a day - sometimes I will nothing other than wander, lay by a pool, lay on the rocks by the sea and on other days, I just go to one site or do one hike, etc.

The area is - ostensibly - mostly about relaxing with some exploring thrown in - unless, of course, you are in the treasure stuffed city of Naples but at the seaside - do save time for just good old relaxing -

9. Re: Itinerary suggestions for August in Amalf Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 06:16