We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

still confused about Positano/Amalfi

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
still confused about Positano/Amalfi

I have read tons of threads and trip reports and am still unsure about my days on the Amalfi coast. Arriving in Salerno at 2 PM May 31 and plan to check into hotel then catch the ferry over to Amalfi to see the musical opera Amalfi then back to Salerno on the last bus.

Then 3 full days in Salerno.

Day #1- Capri, going to leave as early as possible and see as much as we can fit in.

-funicolare

-villa jovis

-public boat tour (no blue grotto)

-Villa San Michele

-chairlift from Anacapri to the top of Mt. Solaro

and a short easy hike then back to Salerno as late as possible

Day #2 a holiday (June 2) so going to Positano/Amalfi area again by ferry and at a loss as to what to do and see there and in the surrounding towns. I am more interested in soaking up the atmosphere than seeing more churches and museums as I will have just spent a month in Rome doing just that. I just don't know which village or two to visit. I'd be totally happy just walking around, stopping for a bite to eat and drink, dipping my toes in the water and would rather not deal with a mass of tourists though...... but would still like to experience Positano

Day #3

Paestum in the morning

afternoon ?

We leave around noon on Day 4 for Florence, so can putter around Salerno in the morning and see the cathedral etc. before catching the train.

Does anyone have any suggestions as what we could do after Paestum for the afternoon? thinking of Sorrento maybe

What would be the easiest walk we could do on the Amalfi coast? We are both fit but I hate stairs and an easy hike for an hour or so would be perfect.

I would appreciate any suggestions and ideas, thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: still confused about Positano/Amalfi

Personally, I never think of going to the seaside to see sites - I go to be by the sea in beautiful villages - so, just do what you want - if you just want to go and wander Positano, sit and have drink and relax - just do so. It doesn't get more beautiful, there's no need to see anything else you don't want to see - they are all small villages -

There will be people there then but not nearly as crowded as the following few months - so, just enjoy it. I go to Positano for a week at a time and am happy not to leave it and never get bored - lay on the beach, take a walk over to the smaller of the two beaches, Il Fornillo, have lunch by the beach there, walk back and wander up to through the pedestrian only part of the village and just explore -

You are doing a lot of moving around the whole time as it is.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: still confused about Positano/Amalfi

I agree with MC - go to Positano and just relax and have a leisurely lunch. Walk down to Fornillo beach and just soak up the scenery. If you must make one more stop, you could ferry over to Amalfi and take the bus or a taxi up to Ravello to see the amazing views. Then bus or ferry from Amalfi back to Salerno.

For your afternoon on day 3, if you don't want to relax on a beach somewhere, you take the train or bus to Vietri Sul Mare to see the ceramic shops, town and beach.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: still confused about Positano/Amalfi

Thank you both Engred and Momcat, that is great advice and maybe I am overthinking this (reading too many posts:) I think I will plan that full day in Capri and leave it at that.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: still confused about Positano/Amalfi

Good idea Patti. The first time I visited the AC I had my whole week planned out. But never again - the area is really all about enjoying the scenery and soaking in the atmosphere and sun!

5. Re: still confused about Positano/Amalfi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:16