We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Pompeii, Herculaneum, maybe Paestum

California
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Pompeii, Herculaneum, maybe Paestum

Will have 4.5 days in Amalfi.

Depending on the weather and how the hikes I plan go, I'm thinking about using a day to visit some or all of these archeological sites.

I've visited the AC briefly and did take day trips to Pompeii and Herculaneum years ago.

I've found info. on how to reach these sites, basically take the bus to Salerno or Vietri Sul Mare, then train over.

But I've also found this shuttle tour:

getyourguide.com/pompeii-l685/…

Obviously I could do it cheaper taking public transport and I would be able to spend as much time as I want. But the idea of doing both sites in one day is appealing and I wouldn't have to worry about switching transports, figuring out schedules (for instance, does the SITA bus stop near the Vietri Sul Mare and Salerno train stations?).

Plus there would be a guide, which I didn't have before and hadn't researched or gotten a guidebook for Pompeii and Herculaneum. The downside is only 2 hours at Pompeii.

Alternatively, I could just skip Herculaneum, make my way to Pompeii and just hire the guide:

getyourguide.com/pompeii-l685/…

My recollection was that Herculaneum wouldn't require that much time.

I visited one of the baths near the Scavi entrance, reserved a time. But it appears the baths are not available for reservation now.

Also, anyone know if it's possible to get a Compania Arte card in Amalfi or do you have to do it at the sites themselves?

I will be flying into NAP but taking shuttle transfer to Amalfi immediately and would visit these archeological sites after a couple of days in the AC.

So I would either buy the Unico Cosatiera in Amalfi or if possible the Arte Campania. Though if I hired the second tour, I wouldn't need a ticket to Pompeii.

Some other tours combine Pompeii with Vesuvius. It seems like the views of the crater and the bay below would be interesting but otherwise, it's a lot of dirt and rocks in the trail?

So I'm more inclined to go to Herculaneum than Vesuvius and perhaps, maybe not to Herculaneum at all to spend more time in Vesuvius.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Vietri sul Mare
Vietri sul Mare
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
460 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
L'Unico
L'Unico
1,066 Reviews
Salerno, Italy
Tours of Amalfi Coast - Capri, Pompeii & More
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Taxis & Shuttles, Food Tours
L'Altra Costiera
Sightseeing Tours
Touring Amalfi Coast Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings
Bornem, Belgium
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Pompeii, Herculaneum, maybe Paestum

Hello,

I'm not an expert so I hope someone can give you a better answer, but here are some things I know from my trip to Pompeii, Herculaneum and the Vesuvius.

- I've seen Pompeii first, and the day after Herculaneum. Herculaneum was a lot better conserved and less crowded than Pompeii, so I liked it more (although I'm glad that I've seen Pompeii too). But it depends on your interests and time, after all: it both are ruins, it's not as if you're going to see something entirely different. But if you do have the time, and you manage to get a Campania Artecard (so you don't have to pay to visit Herculaneum), I'd visit Herculaneum, Pompeii and the Vesuvius.

- The trail up the Vesuvius is covered with black dusty rocks. It's not something you want to do without closed shoes, but I wasn't dirty when I returned.

- Do you know about the Virtual Archeological Museum in Herculaneum? It's situated on walking distance from the historical site, and if I remember correctly, the entrance is free with a Campania ArteCard (I'm not sure). They have 3D-models of how the houses in Pompeii and Herculaneum may have looked, and it's worth a visit if you have some spare time.

Greetings

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
460 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,077 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Pompeii, Herculaneum, maybe Paestum

I wouldn't bother with an Artecard - they cost around 35 euro and you only plan to visit Pompeii/Herc so just get the cumulative ticket at one site for 20 euro and it includes admission at the other site.

Take the train from Salerno - get off at the Pompeii main train stop and walk the 800 or so metres to the Pompeii Amphitheatre entrance. It's not the main entrance and you can't buy guide books etc. there but its out of the way and mostly used by school groups, meaning you probably won't encounter massive queues. When you're done, take the Circumvesuviana to Herculaneum and visit that site, then make your way back to Salerno. Herculaneum has a main line as well, which will take you to Salerno (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this but it's as I understand it).

Herculaneum's Suburban Baths are closed and will be for quite some time yet, however the site has had some incredible restoration work done elsewhere including the Samnite House and the small room displaying the wooden Roman boat found and fishing gear found at the entrance to the boat houses in the 1980s.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
460 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
California
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Pompeii, Herculaneum, maybe Paestum

This site:

arethusa.net/w2d3/…contenuto.html

Scavi Archeologici di Ercolano:

Villa dei Papiri (la villa è chiusa per lavori di restauro)

Eventi a Pompei:

Terme Suburbane

(visite momentaneamente sospese)

Casa del Principe di Napoli

(visite momentaneamente sospese)

So those aren't available now.

Does the Unico Cosatiera cover the Circumvesuviana? Or the Campania card? Actually shouldn't be much.

Mentioned in this post
Ercolano
Ercolano
L'Unico
L'Unico
1,066 Reviews
Salerno, Italy
California
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Pompeii, Herculaneum, maybe Paestum

Can someone give a quick rundown of Trenitalia tickets?

You can buy online, print out at kiosks at the stations?

Regardless of where you buy, you validate at yellow machines on the platform? Or am I thinking of SNCF, France?

And the main advantage of buying in advance is on longer distance routes, where you must reserve a seat, like Napoli to Roma?

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,077 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Pompeii, Herculaneum, maybe Paestum

The high speed trains are best to reserve ahead using the Trenitalia website.

Regional trains like Salerno to Pompeii, just buy on the day and validate in the green machines (they're no longer yellow) before boarding.

Mentioned in this post
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
California
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Pompeii, Herculaneum, maybe Paestum

Seems like getting to Herculaneum is a hassle from Pompeii.

Circumvesuviana but then to return, go back to Pompeii and then make way to the Pompeii station again for trip back to Salerno?

Amalfi hotel guy suggests taxi between Pompeii and Herculaneum so all in, about 50€ in transport costs including ferry to Salerno and back.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
460 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
7. Re: Day trip to Pompeii, Herculaneum, maybe Paestum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 05:15