We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Rome to Amalfi - via Herculaneum and Pompeii

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
From Rome to Amalfi - via Herculaneum and Pompeii

OK - for those of you who have attempted this, and hopefully completed this, is it possible to (and not wildly unreasonable) to get from Naples, visit Herculaneum in the late morning (I imagine for about 90 minutes) travel on to Pompeii (spend a couple of hours) and then travel down to Amalfi (or Positano) to stay the night. So, we will have our luggage (backpacks) with us.

We will be getting off the train from Rome at approximately 9.30am.

If it is reasonable, does any one know the details of which trains/buses get us between each point? I have looked at the Circumvesuviana trains website, but am not confident in my ability to really work out if it is doable.

We are travelling from Rome in late September, on a Thursday.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,997 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Rome to Amalfi - via Herculaneum and Pompeii

Pompeii is a large excavation area, and needs a four - five hour visit.

Trains from Rome to Naples www.trenitalia.com www.italotreno.it Click on the UK flag for current train times, enter 08 for all departures.

Naples lower basement station train to Sorrento, Herculaneum and Pompeii Scavi www.eavcampania.it

Buses Sorrento to Positano and Amalfi sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

Ferries www.alicost.it www.travelmar.it www.coopsantandrea.com

www.pompeiisites.org www.amalficoastweb.com www.timeout.com/naples

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

Scranton...
Level Contributor
452 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Rome to Amalfi - via Herculaneum and Pompeii

Deleted by user

Edited: 06 June 2014, 05:02
Scranton...
Level Contributor
452 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Rome to Amalfi - via Herculaneum and Pompeii

As an example, from Rome, you could catch the 7:35am Frecciarossa to Napoli Centrale, arriving around 8:45.

From there, you would go down to the basement and catch the Circumvesuviana toward Sorrento, departing at 9:11 and arriving at Herculaneum at 9:28.

Figure a 15 minute walk downhill to the site, 90 minutes there, and a 20 minute walk back to the station, you might catch the 11:58 to Pomeii Scavi, arriving there around 12:17.

Leave Pompeii in time to catch the 4:17 Circumvesuviana to Sorrento, arriving at 4:37. You can exit the station and catch the 5pm SitaSUD bus to Positano and Amalfi right across the street. That would get you into Positano at 5:50pm or Amalfi at 6:40pm.

There's some flexibility...the Circumvesuviana trains run very frequently, and there are both earlier and later bus connections in Sorrento. Here's the link to the current Circumvesuviana schedule: eavcampania.it/web/…Cx.pdf

... and here's a link to the Sorrento-Positano-Amalfi bus schedule: sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

It's not wildly unreasonable, but it will make for a pretty long and rushed day.

Zuke

http://zukini.travellerspoint.com/toc/

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Rome to Amalfi - via Herculaneum and Pompeii

Wow!

Thank you so much, I knew it was going to be rushed, but you have made so much sense of it, it is greatly appreciated! It will be a long day, but it means that we will be able to relax once we get to the coast.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Rome to Amalfi - via Herculaneum and Pompeii

Thank you - the links you have given me are brilliant,

We are hoping to do a loop from Rome through Naples train station, onto Pompeii - then head down the coast - stay a couple of nights before we catch the ferry/hydrofoil for a night on Capri before returning to Naples.

Because Herculaneum was on the way to Pompeii, I thought we may have been able to visit it as well on our way south - but on second thoughts (and with the aide of your wonderful information), maybe we will take a trip out to Herculaneum when we return to Naples.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
452 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Rome to Amalfi - via Herculaneum and Pompeii

Glad I could help. The schedules aren't that hard to figure out once you get the hang of them. Toughest part is understanding the codes that determine which days of the week apply to each timetable.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Rome to Amalfi - via Herculaneum and Pompeii

Now we just need to figure out where to spend our extra night! We had to push our flights out, but arrive a day later in Rome!

8. Re: From Rome to Amalfi - via Herculaneum and Pompeii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 05:16