We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi, Pompeii, Naples

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Amalfi, Pompeii, Naples

My mum and I will be arriving in Atrani, Amalfi coast in July on the 21st and have a flight leaving Naples on the 24th. At some point during this time we would like to visit Pompeii but I am wondering if it is easier (without a car) to visit Pompeii on the way to Naples and then fly out, or to do a return trip within a day and come back to our place in Atrani. Is there a tour we could join that starts in Amalfi but ends in Naples? Or are there good local bus services we could use?

Any help appreciated!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,390 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi, Pompeii, Naples

How early is your flight on the 24th?

Actually, luggage makes the easiest way to Pompei from Atrani less easy, so I think I'd do it on a non-travel day. The easiest way to Pompei from your location is the SITA bus to Salerno, followed by the local train to Pompei. This leaves you in town, a one mile walk from the Anfiteatro entrance to the ruins. The alternative is a bus to Amalfi, followed by a bus to Sorrento, followed by a train to Pompei Scavi. This train (the Circumvesuviana) leaves you right at an entrance to the ruins, but getting to it (bus to another bus) is very time consuming.

Bus from Atrani to Salerno: sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5120.pdf

Train from Salerno to Pompei: http://www.trenitalia.com/

Bus from Atrani to Amalfi: (same as above)

Bus from Amalfi to Sorrento: sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

Train from Sorrento to Pompei: eavcampania.it/web/…Cy.pdf

As you'll see as you start going through these schedules, a trip to Pompei will eat up a full day due to transportation there and back.

Other helpful links:

Map of Pompei transit: unicocampania.it/files/mappe/pompei.pdf

Map of Pompei Scavi: unicocampania.it/files/mappe/mappa_scavi.pdf

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi, Pompeii, Naples

Wow thank you for such a helpful response! Our flight is not until 9pm.

From what I can understand, we can walk very easily from Atrani to Amalfi so, from your information, it seems very easy to get to pompeii and back to Amalfi in a day.

It sounds like the only alternative would be a tour that did an Aalfi pick up and a Naples drop off to handle our luggage while we walk around, but this may be hard to find.

Thank you so much!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,390 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi, Pompeii, Naples

There are multiple places to leave your luggage once at Pompei; at both the Porta Marina and Anfiteatro entrances there are left luggage offices, as well as the Circumvesuviana station at Pompei Scavi (just outside the Porta Marina entrance).

You can walk from Atrani to Amalfi through the parking lot tunnel.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,390 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi, Pompeii, Naples

I will say, however, that depending on how much luggage you're carrying it's not going to be easy either to walk to Amalfi nor to deal with the buses and the Circumvesuviana train. The bus will put your things in the under carriage storage, but the train is a free-for-all.

From Pompei to the airport you'd take the Circumvesuviana train to the Naples Garibaldi stop (the penultimate stop on the line), then go out into the Piazza to catch the Alibus to the airport.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amalfi, Pompeii, Naples

It's important to understand that the Circumvesuviana is a very, very heavily used urban transit system, not unlike the New York or London undergrounds (it's mostly above-ground, however.) You will certainly have to stand in a very crowded vestibule, with your luggage against a partition to keep the doors clear. It can take ten minutes for a full trainload of people to exit the stations in Sorrento or Pompeii Scavi.

There is nothing frightening about this if you are used to urban public transit. I just want you to understand what the one-hour ride from Sorrento to Naples could be like, even if you don't stop in Pompeii. Oh, and there might be an accordion-band playing for coins in the standing area of the train car with you.

I realize that not everyone has the budget for it, but we paid our hotel 95 Euros for a car service from Sorrento to Naples. That has its own problems if you're pressed for time, because the two-lane highways are just as heavily used as are the trains. (I mean Sorrento-Naples. Atrani is a quieter place.) But note that bus tourists often have trouble getting seats on the busses between Sorrento-Positano-Amalfi.

Edited: 13 June 2014, 14:37
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amalfi, Pompeii, Naples

Let me put that another way: Atrani is the only place worse-located than Amalfi for a day-trip to Pompeii! (For any other reason, it's a lovely town!) Your unwise plan to walk with your luggage to Amalfi suggests that you may not understand what a substantial stop Pompeii is. Two hours are an absolute minimum at the site of Pompeii, and four hours would be much better, with good shoes and serious sun protection. Encyclopedic tourists might spend the entire day there, eating in the touristy cafe inside the site.

7. Re: Amalfi, Pompeii, Naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Amalfi Coast